Pubs reopening June 29th

An awful lot of drinkers are just going to cut out a few pints altogether,go out less and drink less as a 10c increase by Diageo including taxes on a pint is probably the straw that broke the camels back after increases over the past year.

It is ultimatly self defeating by the breweries as younger drinkers have many options one of which includes not going to the pub at all.

You now can get a very decent bottle of wine in Aldi or Lidl for about only €8

Publicans will take a huge hit in custom.

Really? :oops:

I'm very cautious about drinking wine so never drink the really cheap stuff. I was told that usually the first fiver or so goes on the bottle, labelling, and shipping, so you'd need to be paying a bit more than a tenner even in Lidl or Aldi for anything palatable.

Really? :oops:

I'm very cautious about drinking wine so never drink the really cheap stuff. I was told that usually the first fiver or so goes on the bottle, labelling, and shipping, so you'd need to be paying a bit more than a tenner even in Lidl or Aldi for anything palatable.
Tom Doorley reviews and taste tests all the Aldi wines and each week he recommends good wines. He as very rarely wrong.

Aldi & Lidl have huge bargaining power in purchasing across Europe.

Plenty of free wine review apps like Vimeo that you can use yourself in the supermarket

I wonder will pubs start to consider utilising student drink deals, but to the population as a large?

Obviously it will cut into profits, but it potentially could help keep bums on seats, and help avoid drinkers opting for home/reducing intake.

3 for 12 on Fosters, 3 for 14 on Beamish, 3 for 15 on Orchard Thieves etc

Not sure how it could work with more prominent drinks, such as Coors, Guinness and so on.

I wonder will pubs start to consider utilising student drink deals, but to the population as a large?

Obviously it will cut into profits, but it potentially could help keep bums on seats, and help avoid drinkers opting for home/reducing intake.

3 for 12 on Fosters, 3 for 14 on Beamish, 3 for 15 on Orchard Thieves etc

Not sure how it could work with more prominent drinks, such as Coors, Guinness and so on.
I know a Sports club bar that do 5 Guinness for 20 on Sundays to get punters in for matches.

I think it’s been pretty successful by all accounts.

I think those kinds of promotions are banned now to discourage binge drinking. The model of drinking in a pub, restaurant or hotel is rapidly becoming outdated.

There's no point in spending that kind of money on something when there are so many alternatives available.

Yup, nanny-state stepped in to legislate for the many due to the over-indulgence of the few.

That said, a guy I know gets "pensioners price" for a pint and he's not even a pensioner 😂

That’s good value
I know a club that does 4 for 20
Do GAA club subsidise pints for members like golf clubs do
My friend gets 8% off if pays with his golf club card
I know a Sports club bar that do 5 Guinness for 20 on Sundays to get punters in for matches.

I think it’s been pretty successful by all accounts.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼