Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Roche is struggling for form. Jack O Connor must have been flying in training hence the start today. I'd like to see him produce against better opposition though. Barrett was very poor, Tommy was peripheral also. Another hamstring injury to add to the list. Anyone know what happened O Donoghue.
On TV it looked like SOD had an injury problem a minute or two before coming off.

The commentators didn't notice and were unsure as to why he came off.

Just home,that was deplorable to watch.A win is a win yes but we are just going to up it so many levels to championship.I came away with a feeling Davy will ave them so hard to beat in Waterford.It will be tricky

Both teams were pretty poor I thought. Grand to get the win but I thought Cork were almost better in the 2 previous games they lost.
Thought a lot of younger players struggled which is a pity but hopefully they will learn from it.
Hard enough for management right now to figure out the 15 for championship

Both teams were pretty poor I thought. Grand to get the win but I thought Cork were almost better in the 2 previous games they lost.
Thought a lot of younger players struggled which is a pity but hopefully they will learn from it.
Hard enough for management right now to figure out the 15 for championship
Very well made points here. Today just didn’t give positive vibes.

O Connor showing some form and gaining confidence was the main positive from today, plus seeing Connolly back on the field.
Interesting to hear Pat Ryan in post match interview say that Jack was going well in training and was disappointed that he had not got game time in earlier games. He’s probably nailed his place in the 26 now and has two games to land a first 15 spot. Hayes showed plenty hurling too, which is good to see given our shortage of stand out forward options.

I know it’s only League and all that but Today was a shambles lads and there’s no hiding away from it. The attitude and workrate was good but tactically we are all over the place. And the be cruising 8? Points up with 20 minutes to go and to end up hanging on at the end just sums us up

Our puckouts are now becoming very similar to 2022, short, predictable and putting us under severe pressure. We got away with it today, we won’t come championship. The sight of our 3 full backs standing free looking for a short pass and then having to run the ball out the pitch because poor Hoggy and Hayes up front are being double marked and there’s no outlet. Man up and push the fuck up the pitch

The opposition puckouts were even worse. We backed off out the pitch and let them create overlaps out of defence, and played right into their hands. We did push up for a short period and the contrast was night and day as we forced them long

And to see one of our corner backs swanning around marking no one in general play is killing us. We do that against the likes of Limerick and they will eat us alive. Man up, take responsibility for a man and push up the pitch

Now my rant is over I was delighted for Jack O Connor today, he’s had a rough time hurling wise but he’s back with a bang! He’s a real option off the bench now.

Eoin Downey had a fine game when he came in, he was very commanding and assured, same with Ger Millerick who had a great game

I think Shane Barrett has to start in the corner in championship, he’s got pace, hurling and a great brain. And to me he should also be the alternative no 11 to Fitzy if he’s not fit, not Lehane

Brian Hayes and Hoggy were industrious inside and picked off some lovely scores, great to see but the big plus up front for me is just having Alan Connolly on the pitch again, he looks strong and could be a real option now

I missed Sean Twomey today, and Tim, and Deccie, add them to that foward unit and we are in a good place

I wonder lads is all this carry on just a smokescreen and that come championship we will be a different animal? I hope so

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼