Cork Hurlers - Part 2

PR has zero in League I think, why else would he play fellas out if position and leave them there when it wasn't working. I definitely would have brought Robbie Cotter or Jack o Connor on if you want to try fellas out. We don't really know what goes on behind the scenes however so maybe we shouId tone down the criticism a bit. I believe they had hard session in Mallow during week which I think made them a bit sluggish for 1st half. Anyway travelling to Mallow ffs ,,,after days work, college etc ,getting back to city late at night.gym sessions during week...too much expected from lads this early in the year. Horrible news again for Robbie on hamstring, hope its short term. We need him fit. Any news on Shamie, Alan ? . Coleman made positive intro last night, looks fresh. Wish he didn't try to be hero score getter so often, he's nothing to prove. Fitz needs to get game time too and soon. We're gonna get better as games go on, keep the faith !!

ironically it was an injury to Downey that forced the introduction of Mellerick.. given how bad things were going at the time and a seriously embarrassing hammering was on the cards, it’s shocking that no tactical substitution was being made to stem the flow. Would Lohan, Cahill or Lyng have been as patient? I seriously doubt it.

As for Cusack, it was a sad waste of prime rte time that should have been focused on hurling. There was no analysis to preview the game as they were too busy with the rant.

Cusack is an embarrassment at this stage and was firmly put in his place by Tyrell last night. He needs to leave behind the anti County board stance and concentrate more on tactical side of where we are going wrong. It is 19 years since our last all ireland but on the evidence of the last couple of games the famine will not end this year. FFS looking at the league table we are rooted to the bottom with even Offaly ahead of us!
I think it's time to.look outside the county for a manager who can get us back to the top as Ryan is not up to it - people like Liam Sheedy or Anthony Daly.
Cusack made a complete show of himself last night. Time to drop the so called Rebel routine trying to embarrass his home county to embellish himself with the rest of the country. A ghoul of the highest order.

Pa Collins did make 2 good saves but I thought overall he was shaky with puck outs. Also a couple of people around me noted that none of the defenders pass back to him and that’s a lack of confidence in him. Watched Elin Murkhy in second half as we were up at that end and he is so ‘authoritative’ and decisive. Couplekof bad luck outs tho. Seems in a different class to our keepers.
If Pa Collins had the game Eoin Murphy he would be hung, he misplaces one puck out and every cork fan gets hung up on it Madness

Just some context on last night's defeat. Cork had 33 players in the Fitzgibbon qf stage (not all on the Cork panel obviously). Kilkenny had 6.

This is pretty significant when you consider the number of important players unavailable. Do we think mgmt would've picked Ciarn Joyce to play against KK if he didn't need to be rested? I'd say 100% they would.

You add injuries into that and it means Cork are very under strength. Rob Downey started after playing for UCC during the week and Ger Mellerick and Shane Barrett came on after playing for UCC as well.
Thick them Kilkenny lads all dong the ANCO courses........

ironically it was an injury to Downey that forced the introduction of Mellerick.. given how bad things were going at the time and a seriously embarrassing hammering was on the cards, it’s shocking that no tactical substitution was being made to stem the flow. Would Lohan, Cahill or Lyng have been as patient? I seriously doubt it.

As for Cusack, it was a sad waste of prime rte time that should have been focused on hurling. There was no analysis to preview the game as they were too busy with the rant.
Agreed, we went 9 points to 2 behind and PR made no substitution. I'm a PR fan but this is worrying.

We were lucky S Twomey, TOC and others drove Cork back into the game. Otherwise a hammering was on the cards.

If Pa Collins had the game Eoin Murphy he would be hung, he misplaces one puck out and every cork fan gets hung up on it Madness
It’s actually hilarious. Murphy being praised here and he had loads of short puck outs cut out. A lot of Kilkenny fans think Murphy is a huge problem for them but a lot of supporters of other counties see the flashy saves (to be fair he’s an excellent shot stopper) and don’t take any notice of his puck outs.

I’ve said it before, it doesn’t matter who’s in goal for Cork, we always complain about the keeper. Because we don’t have ball winning half forwards our keepers are forced to go short. Opponents know this which makes it easier to cut them out and force us to go long. The only solution is to have at least 2 ball winners in the half forward line, e.g Twomey and Harnedy. This gives the option to go long quite often and then when you go short it’s easier work out of defence / less likely to get cut out because the opposition can’t afford to push right up if you have legitimate options if you go long.

Agreed, we went 9 points to 2 behind and PR made no substitution. I'm a PR fan but this is worrying.

We were lucky S Twomey, TOC and others drove Cork back into the game. Otherwise a hammering was on the cards.
What's the purpose of that after 25 minutes? Let the players work their way out of a hole and see who stands up and makes things happen. At least we learned last night as to who stood up and who didn't.

Nah disagree. Fans want change after losing Munster last year so to implement change you have to make changes so PRs giving different fellas chances and trying a few positional tweaks. You have to give fellas a proper chance to redeem themselves and test their mettle when shit is going pear shaped. Can they work through the problems in real time in the heat of a battle?

Kingston was given a full match last night to prove himself and while I'm a fan of his and he owes Cork nothing, PR would be perfectly within his right now to drop him for a younger replacement. Cody did this shit all the time in the league. He'd let a player being cleaned out stew in his own mess to see if he could work out how to reverse it.

In championship when it matters of course you'd pull fellas off but not the same panic in the league.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Gaa

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼