Cyclists

The technology is there though that can take the pressure of actual humans in the Gardai from policing our roads.
Policing roads is a very intensive form of policing because to be done right it has to be done proactively.
This is where camera's, AI technology and the like can do the job.

Like why in this day and age do Gardai need to stop cars to check their tax and insurance?
You can set up cameras on routes, that could automatically scan the cars regisratation and cross check it against a database to see if the car is a) taxed b) insured and c) if the primary driver is off the road.
Automatically spit out fines, points etc for noncompliance.
This could all be automated.

Another thing we could do is follow the Australians in how they manage fines.
Their fines are much larger for one. Think $500 for using a mobile for driving.
If you go to court to challenge and lose, that is a $2000 fine automatically. That is why it's rare for people to challenge the fines they get, the risk is simply not worth it.

If you start fining people for speeding and bad driving left right and centre, and they know that there won't be way around it, you will be surprised then that compliance to safer driving becomes apparent.

Another simple win is the self-reporting portal where people can upload and lodge complaints of dangerous drivers they have seen. That would be gold dust for the Gardai as if dickhead drivers knew that at any moment someone with a dashcam could be videoing them ready to upload to the Garda where there is an actual follow-up, id wager they won't be so quick to be that dickhead driver.

The problem is, that proposals for safer driving are now caught up in the Culture Wars. People see those advocating things like a web portal for reporting bad behaviour as taking away their freedom or something. They are woke, of lefty loonies.
How on earth did we get to a position where those asking for better enforcement of the rules of the road are seen as the enemy?

Bit exaggerated here, so if you're gonna post at least get you facts right. I'm speaking on knowledge of NSW (Sydney) they do however have unmanned speed cameras (average speed etc) that can see your speed and also can catch phone use. The points and fines do happen but your figure is a bit off.
There police force are much better staffed than ours, the 'standard' checkpoints they set up makes a fool out of ours.
They're also not driving around in bog standard Hyundai's or now using EV's, they have high spec VW's, Fords etc and their RPU are in high spec BMW's etc.
In NSW you also insure the car not the person so anyone can drive a car that's insured once they have a license.
Also from experience driving in Ireland is a lot safer than Sydney.

The technology is there though that can take the pressure of actual humans in the Gardai from policing our roads.
Policing roads is a very intensive form of policing because to be done right it has to be done proactively.
This is where camera's, AI technology and the like can do the job.

Like why in this day and age do Gardai need to stop cars to check their tax and insurance?
You can set up cameras on routes, that could automatically scan the cars regisratation and cross check it against a database to see if the car is a) taxed b) insured and c) if the primary driver is off the road.
Automatically spit out fines, points etc for noncompliance.
This could all be automated.

Another thing we could do is follow the Australians in how they manage fines.
Their fines are much larger for one. Think $500 for using a mobile for driving.
If you go to court to challenge and lose, that is a $2000 fine automatically. That is why it's rare for people to challenge the fines they get, the risk is simply not worth it.

If you start fining people for speeding and bad driving left right and centre, and they know that there won't be way around it, you will be surprised then that compliance to safer driving becomes apparent.

Another simple win is the self-reporting portal where people can upload and lodge complaints of dangerous drivers they have seen. That would be gold dust for the Gardai as if dickhead drivers knew that at any moment someone with a dashcam could be videoing them ready to upload to the Garda where there is an actual follow-up, id wager they won't be so quick to be that dickhead driver.

The problem is, that proposals for safer driving are now caught up in the Culture Wars. People see those advocating things like a web portal for reporting bad behaviour as taking away their freedom or something. They are woke, of lefty loonies.
How on earth did we get to a position where those asking for better enforcement of the rules of the road are seen as the enemy?
Do you drive a car ?

It seems the programme last night has ruffled some feathers.

The RSA does appear to be a very pro car organisation, which is failing in its remit of overall Road Safety.
Do you drive a car ?

You provided proof you exaggerated yourself.
387 dollars which in euro is 234, our current fine for phone use is 160/180 euro so not much of a difference.
Well done.
As I said I was there I experienced it.
The appeals you give as well is for speeding no phone use.
Again exaggerated.
No one appeals it. Literally no one.
Transitioning from driving in Ireland to Oz is no joke with average speed etc and the zones change very quickly when on dual carriageways etc 70 to 90 back to 80 and in small sections 100 and then back to 80.
Demerits are the penalty point equivalents for those unaware and double demerits come into effect on bank holiday weekends etc

You have exaggerated facts and figures and when called out used evidence that supports me.
Thank pal.

Were you ever in Oz and if so did you drive?

387 dollars which in euro is 234, our current fine for phone use is 160/180 euro so not much of a difference.
Did you miss the part where you can get fined $515 dollars in NSW for being on a mobile in a school zone?
If anything I was underestimating.

No one appeals it. Literally no one.
I know, that is what I said. There is very very little wiggle room and you get scared off by the $2200 fine if you get convicted.
So people just suck up the initial fine.

Transitioning from driving in Ireland to Oz is no joke with average speed etc and the zones change very quickly when on dual carriageways etc 70 to 90 back to 80 and in small sections 100 and then back to 80.
Demerits are the penalty point equivalents for those unaware and double demerits come into effect on bank holiday weekends etc
I am well aware of driving there. I spent the guts of 15 years living on the side of the world. I have the passport and kids to prove it.

You have exaggerated facts and figures and when called out used evidence that supports me.
We have established that one can get fined $515 for being on a mobile while driving in Sydney, Australia.
I stated one can get fined $500. So I am wrong by underplaying it.
I stated if one gets a conviction it's a $2000 fine. So I am wrong by underplaying it as it is actually $2200

Different states will have their own fines.
The ACT has bigger fines.
Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 12.35.27 am.jpg

So where is the exaggeration exactly in my post? Please be precise here.

Were you ever in Oz and if so did you drive?
See above.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

4th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼