Cork Hurlers - Part 2

It’s interesting to see that the reaction to UCC losing to the best University team in the country has been more extreme that Cork losing last Sunday. And all of this in February.

This thread will be unbearable come April/May.

It’s interesting to see that the reaction to UCC losing to the best University team in the country has been more extreme that Cork losing last Sunday. And all of this in February.

This thread will be unbearable come April/May.
Not losing , how they proceeded with the Ultra Cork Brain Rot tip , tap out of defence that has hurling in this County in a complete Quagmire. UNBEARABLE.

Regardless of what happens this year Pat Ryan needs to be allowed to see out his full term. Changing managers isn’t the panacea that some make it out to be. We’ve so many 20-23 year olds to bed into the panel and team that patience is needed. Our fortunes won’t turn overnight. S&C development is critical.
3 year term and I want him to see it out, if we progress and off his back to back U20 wins I'd give him option of an add on 2 year term.
But as I keep saying he needs to be asked the hard questions and needs to be held to same standards of Kingston and Meyler.

Coming out saying no one remembers the league and we're focusing on Waterford is wrong.

I have no disgruntled comments or negativity as I keep saying.
Players are getting more stick that management which is also wrong.

Given that games are now 76/78 mins how would people feel about midfield being a 35/40 min shift from Coleman, O Connell, Roche and E Twomey? To me Fitzgibbon does better in half forward line and certainly struggles to sustain a full game in midfield battles

Downey looked a different class last night alright and if he was to nail down the center back position there’s only one place I would be playing Ciaran Joyce and that’s midfield, it would transform our team having Ciaran constantly involved in the play rather than sitting back minding the house
Midfield is another option of course for Joyce R&B as he could play anywhere from 2 to 9 - I know it sounds nuts to be suggesting moving him out of 6 when we have been looking for a 6 for years and he is the real deal but I think the bigger picture is what we need to look at and Downey has clearly shown his ability to play at 6 and for a big man he is a very good hurler and brings a bit of devilment and physicality to the middle. I think with Joyce it’s a bit like Paul McGrath when he was playing soccer for Ireland - centre back was his best position but at times ( including a World Cup ) he was needed elsewhere on the field for the good of the overall team and this was facilitated but ONLY because there were other very good players who could play centre back.

I was delighted to see Downey excelling last night as he is a bloody good player and we need him to become one of the leaders of this team as he takes no shit and won’t take a step back from anyone

Would not let Joyce out of that backline - his pace puts out fires the whole time. We've a few defenders that are not the quickest, we need him there.

Just picking up on the physical intensity comments there, it's obvious that you need to have that attitude & aggression across the field for 70 minutes - Clare vs limerick games have defined how the game has evolved in this way in the last 2 seasons in particular, and referees are letting it go in the big championship games.

Looking at a Cork team selected on pure attitude, work rate & intensity I think we have the hurlers to do that, and we should start to see more of this in our selections in the league. Team below doesn't contain our 3 most skillful hurlers (Coleman, Hoggie, Fitzgibbon) but wouldn't it be a tough side to beat.

PC
O’Callaghan. Cahalane. Millerick
E Downey. Joyce. R Downey
TOC. SOD
B Roche. Dalton. Twomey
ROF. TOM. Connolly

Midfield is another option of course for Joyce R&B as he could play anywhere from 2 to 9 - I know it sounds nuts to be suggesting moving him out of 6 when we have been looking for a 6 for years and he is the real deal but I think the bigger picture is what we need to look at and Downey has clearly shown his ability to play at 6 and for a big man he is a very good hurler and brings a bit of devilment and physicality to the middle. I think with Joyce it’s a bit like Paul McGrath when he was playing soccer for Ireland - centre back was his best position but at times ( including a World Cup ) he was needed elsewhere on the field for the good of the overall team and this was facilitated but ONLY because there were other very good players who could play centre back.

I was delighted to see Downey excelling last night as he is a bloody good player and we need him to become one of the leaders of this team as he takes no shit and won’t take a step back from anyone
I’d love to see them try Rob at 6 and Ciaran at 8 in one of the upcoming league games. I can’t see it happening though

Given that games are now 76/78 mins how would people feel about midfield being a 35/40 min shift from Coleman, O Connell, Roche and E Twomey? To me Fitzgibbon does better in half forward line and certainly struggles to sustain a full game in midfield battles
I like it. Hopefully this and similiar discussions are taking place between P Ryan and selectors. As other posters ( I think ThatFella has mentioned), Cork mgmt needs to be faster in making moves/changing tactics and subbing/introducing players this year.

Historically, we have been painfully slow in this area imo.

very true re Darragh. Last year's munster championship he was excellent in the first half of 3 games in particular. He is a typical fast twitch fibre athlete - can bolt off for a few runs and get some spectacular scores but he takes a while to recover, whereas a fella like Roche can keep going at a steadier pace. Coleman and Darragh appeals on paper but would be a bit of a disaster of a partnership really. Blue in the face from saying it but we need a more creative solution in the middle. Kingston got the Millerick move to work in '21, I'd love to see SOD get a go at something similar.

Would not let Joyce out of that backline - his pace puts out fires the whole time. We've a few defenders that are not the quickest, we need him there.

Just picking up on the physical intensity comments there, it's obvious that you need to have that attitude & aggression across the field for 70 minutes - Clare vs limerick games have defined how the game has evolved in this way in the last 2 seasons in particular, and referees are letting it go in the big championship games.

Looking at a Cork team selected on pure attitude, work rate & intensity I think we have the hurlers to do that, and we should start to see more of this in our selections in the league. Team below doesn't contain our 3 most skillful hurlers (Coleman, Hoggie, Fitzgibbon) but wouldn't it be a tough side to beat.

PC
O’Callaghan. Cahalane. Millerick
E Downey. Joyce. R Downey
TOC. SOD
B Roche. Dalton. Twomey
ROF. TOM. Connolly
SOD midfield, granted his strength would be a big plus there. Have you ever seen him play midfield? I know he plays centre forward for his club.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Regan
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

14th Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼