The Official Athletics Thread

Some savage running already this weekend. The 5000 in BU was interesting. Keely looking as good as ever, thought she looked a bit thinner if anything.
Super performance from Keely in Manchester. Athing Mu running the 600m in Millrose on the 11th so we'll get a direct comparison on times.

Start lists for the Boston New Balance Grand Prix are up. Its on Saturday night 4th.

Buckets of Irish interest. Fay vs McEllhenny in the 3k also featuring Woody Kincaid. It's great to see Kincaid racing a bit. The bowerman fellas usually don't. Kincaid jumped ship to Mike Smith's group in Flagstaff about a month ago.

Coscoran vs McCann in the mile. This is a decent field with Sam Tanner, Neil Gourley and Hobbs Kessler. The irish lads should be well in the mix

Mageean and Flanagan in the 3k with laura Muir. Good stuff all round.

A mention for Yarad Nagoose's 7:28 american record in the 3k from last week. If Kincaid was unexpected this was doubley so. I reckon Nagoose will medal in Paris 2024 if he keeps healthy. He's unreal

Last edited:
Interesting Irish link with the Peter Bol doping case from a few weeks ago.

The Norwegian scientists who were trying to help Stephen Colvert have weighed in defending Bol

Colvert is from Mullingar. Was national 200m champ in 2014 and got pinged for EPO. Basically saying the lab fucked up and contaminated his sample but he was sacrificed because he didn't have the cash to fight his case. These Norwegian academics picked up his case saying he was shafted. Ewan McKenna (before he went off the reservation) wrote a few pieces supporting him

Bol is a huge name. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I remember see a better Norwegian Doc on YouTube a few years ago but i can't find it.

Last edited:
Well, Adeleke continues to show how brilliant she is. Could be world level if she avoids burn out and injuries. My former student (who I confidently take about 0.0001% responsibility for ) just went 3.57 indoors for the mile. 18 year old.

Well, Adeleke continues to show how brilliant she is. Could be world level if she avoids burn out and injuries. My former student (who I confidently take about 0.0001% responsibility for ) just went 3.57 indoors for the mile. 18 year old.

That commentator is something else.

Kind of B-/C+ from the Irish in Boston last week.

Fay, McEllhenny, McCann, Coscoran and Flanagan all ran PBs. And contended a bit without really pushing for wins.
English going well with a 1:46 low.

McEllhenny got checked on the last lap whicj likely cost him an AutoQ

Mageean dropped out injured. She had twisted her ankle at the start of a training camp but said he's alright just undercooked.

Torun is on tonight from 17:00 (i think thats irish time not CET)

Gudef Tsegay going for the women's mile world record is the main event. She tried for it last year. Fell over, got up to win it easily.

Other than that its not great. Danny Mill's young fella George won handy in Karlsruhe. He should win this again id say and put himself in the mix with Gourley, Hayward and the likes for the Brits

And Keely is taking on Mary Moraa and Weltgi in the 800m

Last edited:
Torun was pretty good.Tsegay came up short in the WR attempt. Finished in 4.16 something for 2nd all time indoor. The pacing was off they went 61, 65 through 800m so there was too much work to do. She looked v uncomfortable.

Keely looked brilliant again. Jenny meadows, one of her coaches was on the commentary said she'd be disappointed with a 1:57 high world lead. Mary Moraa was way iff it. The Kenyans seem to skip these indoor meets they're mostly dominated by the Ethiopians. I never figured out why so. Moraa was probably just there for the appearance fee we'll see in the summer.

Freywani Hailu won the 3k she's only 20 and was silver at 800 indoors laer year. Lemlem Hailu was 3rd..those Ethiopian names are a ball ache to keep track of. She looked geat.

Sarah Lavin was 6th with a slow start.

Millrose on Saturday night. Wanamaker mile is box office as usual. Ollie Hoare to win back to back. Stiff competition from within his OAC team with Romo ane Naguse. Neil Gourley is the dark horse i reckon. Had a down year last year. Won in boston. Luke McCann is in the field. Won't feature I'd say. Happy to be proved wrong

Muir is in the women's mile i think she'll win it from all the yanks

3k has Josh Kerr dodging the mile for some reason. George Beamish won it last year. Frustrating runner. Huge kick but seems unwilling to commit to a hard early pace. Cooper Teare Nikes next big hope in the 5k and Joe Klecker 10k man are all stepping down.

Last edited:
Yeah, looking forward to catching up with that meet alright. I was on to V Henz, he's doing a more modest mile in Boston Uni today. He said the field is much stronger than what he had last week where he was on his tod from 1,000mt mark. Running a 3.57 for your first mile at the age of 18 ain't bad so I'm excited to see how he gets on for the rest of the season, starting tonight.

I also said that we need to go for a 'jog' next time he's back in Lux so that I can get a pic and live off it with my running mates if and when he makes it to the top.

Yeah, looking forward to catching up with that meet alright. I was on to V Henz, he's doing a more modest mile in Boston Uni today. He said the field is much stronger than what he had last week where he was on his tod from 1,000mt mark. Running a 3.57 for your first mile at the age of 18 ain't bad so I'm excited to see how he gets on for the rest of the season, starting tonight.

I also said that we need to go for a 'jog' next time he's back in Lux so that I can get a pic and live off it with my running mates if and when he makes it to the top.
How does it work in Lux? Will he get a few
Bob from the National Association or has he plans to head to the states? I'd imagine 3:57 will open most doors for him

Last edited:
Millrose was teriffic.

Brilliant racing all round.

Naguse undoubtedly the star. He ran away from some of the best milers in the world with about 250m to go. Closed in 25 for 3.47 high. I said he'd win a medal at Paris after his 3k in Boston. This fella will keep Jacob from the world title this year. He's unreal. Neil Gourley in 3.49 for 2nd. Only 2 spots on the British team because Whiteman has the Bye. Hayward and Stonier will have to wait.

Josh Kerr in the 3k was a major upset. He seems to have taken the Whiteman overdistance template and turned it up to 11. Ran a 63min half marathon a month ago. Now beats the pick of yankee 5k/10k guys in 7.35. Whiteman ran 7.37 last year and it set the foundation for a world title. Kerr is a chest thumping Lad bible banter merchant who isn't afraid of mouthing off so it sould be good craic the next while.

Alicia Monson was dominant. Will she run 1500m, 5k or 10k she could make all three if she wants.

Muir was canny. Stepped off the pace and came through. Helluva competitor

Really enjoyed it.

Lieven is on the 15th. Next Wed. Jacob Ingebrigtsen is racing Grant Fisher in the 3Km. We may never see this matchup again. The pacing is set for a WR.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Darren K

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼