Cork Hurlers - Part 2

if you were to pick a best in Ireland 15 how many from cork would make it?

I would probably say 0 currently.

We have lots of good players, no great ones
No probably about it Charley, it’s a big fat zero unfortunately..
In the modern era, based on results Cork don’t have a place at hurlings top table and it will soon be an incredible 20 years since they won a senior All Ireland. In that 20 years they came close only once too. At the end of the day, it’s only a 5/6 team championship.
We have won just 1 minor in that time.
Part of the problem is that despite these results speaking for themselves, we are living in the past & “hurling people” seem nowhere near to facing up to the reality of our club and county hurling… and how our hurling structures have failed since as far back as the mid 80s… not to mind going about fixing it..
This is not a criticism at all of any players.

I think Joyce is a year or two away from making a best 15 if he keeps progressing as is Alan Connolly. Brian Hayes might be a dark horse to cause teams lots of trouble this year. Darragh Fitz and Coleman have not kicked in and dominated like one would have expected in 2017/2018

My current best 15 in game

Quaid

Finn
Lawlor
Nash

Byrnes
Mannion
Hayes

WOD
Tony Kelly

Hegarty
Lynch
Gleeson / Mullen

Gillane
TJ Reid / Whelan
Hutchinson

I think Joyce is a year or two away from making a best 15 if he keeps progressing as is Alan Connolly. Brian Hayes might be a dark horse to cause teams lots of trouble this year. Darragh Fitz and Coleman have not kicked in and dominated like one would have expected in 2017/2018

Quaid

Finn
Lawlor
Nash

Byrnes
Mannion
Hayes

WOD
Tony Kelly

Hegarty
Lynch
Gleeson / Mullen

Gillane
TJ Reid / Whelan
Hutchinson
Not convinced by Austin Gleeson. His attitude stinks and for every good year he has he has at least one bad one. His disciplinary record is atrocious.

Wow, way to start a season - a thread about Cork hurlers devoted to denigrating our own players, writing off our young players and lauding Limerick and KK modern day GOATS 

Class acts on here.

Thankfully the tiny handful posting don't represent a majority of Cork fans.

Kinnerk is a great coach no doubt, but he’s got some all time greats at his disposal who would win AIs under any coach imo.

Pat Ryan needs time. Kiely and Kinnerk did very little in 2017 let’s not forget
I don’t buy the first paragraph at all, they were hardly all time greats in 2018 when we almost had them bate in the semi final. That was the day our paths diverged

But Pat does need time, it coukd take 3 years to get us up to speed but we’ll get there

Imho i would have 8 certs to start in the championship,O Donoghue ,Joyce and Cahalane in defence,Fitz at midfield,and Hoggie O Flynn and O Conner in the forwards. E Twomey could play anywhere.
To me there’s only one certain starter and that’s Ciaran Joyce, he’s the only guy you can say for certain you know what you will get from him and you also know that will be good enough. Fitzy, Sean, Robbie and Tim would be the only other guys I would say would be pencilled in at this stage too, that’s 10 positions up for grabs and there’s probably 2 dozen capable of starting. That’s both a positive and a negative. I don’t get this love in with Jack O Connor at all, he’s not what you would call a Pat Ryan prototype player but he would offer something completely different with 20 minutes to go

Not convinced by Austin Gleeson. His attitude stinks and for every good year he has he has at least one bad one. His disciplinary record is atrocious.
Poor disciplinary record alright, but bar one season post the HOTY award he has been excellent. An outrageous talent and certainly in the top 20 hurlers in the country. Love watching him play I have to say

Quaid

Finn
Lawlor
Nash

Byrnes
Mannion
Hayes

WOD
Tony Kelly

Hegarty
Lynch
Gleeson / Mullen

Gillane
TJ Reid / Whelan
Hutchinson
Darragh and Coleman ‘havent kicked on’ since 2017 😂 ah here… Mark is a wizard - he’s done phenomenal stuff over the last few years, not his fault he was asked to do something that so clearly did not suit his strengths the last couple of seasons

Both of the lads have more hurling in their baby fingers than WOD… wod will barely hit a point in a club game, he’s just a (very effective) ‘tackler’ in a phenomenally dominant team

I reckon he went through 2 or 3 games last year without striking the ball with his hurley… can’t be in a list like that when you just hand pass and tackle

Darragh and Coleman ‘havent kicked on’ since 2017 😂 ah here… Mark is a wizard - he’s done phenomenal stuff over the last few years, not his fault he was asked to do something that so clearly did not suit his strengths the last couple of seasons

Both of the lads have more hurling in their baby fingers than WOD… wod will barely hit a point in a club game, he’s just a (very effective) ‘tackler’ in a phenomenally dominant team
A defenders primary job is to defend. Coleman is a great hurler but his defensive abilities aren’t those of a top player. So far anyway. Fitz like many of these players is too inconsistent. We need the team to be much more consistent.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Corner House, Coburg St.

18th Oct 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..

The Tan Jackets

Coughlan's, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼