Tommy Tiernan on RTE One

Must admit I quite like the series of Tiernan's interviews - he mightn't be a great stand up comedian but he's a better interviewer than that long string of piss on the late late

If it's allowed continue Wokeism could spell the end of stand-up comedy imho as there are people out there who could get offended about anything.

Must admit I quite like the series of Tiernan's interviews - he mightn't be a great stand up comedian but he's a better interviewer than that long string of piss on the late late

If it's allowed continue Wokeism could spell the end of stand-up comedy imho as there are people out there who could get offended about anything.
Wokeism is everywhere now, Sports panels a prime example of box ticking, Last week the FA cup draw on bbc had a woman
making the draw, why?

The last line in the gag emphasises the point I suppose. You don't think it's racist. However a black person in the audience did.

So if a kerry f**ken animal takes umbrage with a kerry joke, or an Irish guy with a "Paddy joke", or an English guy with a brit joke, or a Saffer with a SA joke etc etc etc should all comedians just stop telling such jokes? Was it a gratuitously offensive racist joke or was it a joke (I'm hearing it was a reference to the huge amount of black drivers that seem to be manning our taxis now) relating to actual life experience. Don't know about you but, and I know it's only anecdotal, in my experience the proportion of black taxi drivers far outweighs the proportion of black people in the general population. Is it racist to then suggest that there seems to be an inordinate number of black taxi drivers?

Are jokes in future to be so neutral as to not mention men or women so as not to offend the non-binary, and no mention of nationality, creed, colour, height, hair colouring, weight, etc???? It'll just be a case of "Did you hear the one about a pig talking to a cow" until the vegans get upset about that too.

FFS comedians get us to look at the funny side of life. If we are to lose all of it because of wokeness then imho the world will be a poorer place for it.

It wasn't a joke about penguins that got him into hot water. The was just the precursor.

Don't see anything remotely racist about that tbh.

You'd be forgiven for thinking he burned a cross on stage from yer ones reaction.

A lot of Taxi drivers are foreign, so focking what :rolleyes:

So if a kerry f**ken animal takes umbrage with a kerry joke, or an Irish guy with a "Paddy joke", or an English guy with a brit joke, or a Saffer with a SA joke etc etc etc should all comedians just stop telling such jokes? Was it a gratuitously offensive racist joke or was it a joke (I'm hearing it was a reference to the huge amount of black drivers that seem to be manning our taxis now) relating to actual life experience. Don't know about you but, and I know it's only anecdotal, in my experience the proportion of black taxi drivers far outweighs the proportion of black people in the general population. Is it racist to then suggest that there seems to be an inordinate number of black taxi drivers?

Are jokes in future to be so neutral as to not mention men or women so as not to offend the non-binary, and no mention of nationality, creed, colour, height, hair colouring, weight, etc???? It'll just be a case of "Did you hear the one about a pig talking to a cow" until the vegans get upset about that too.

FFS comedians get us to look at the funny side of life. If we are to lose all of it because of wokeness then imho the world will be a poorer place for it.
Kerry isn't a race.

I don't have any answers for your questions. As white people we don't get to decide what's offensive about stereotypes and tropes wrt to the black community here.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼