The mica issue

Who were the builders who installed the blocks.
Home owners got the local lads to do the work for cash ?
There was no shortage of that. Also, smooth render is not recommended for areas with high driving rain index, such as the northern and western coastal counties of Donegal and Mayo.

There's a huge lack of understanding, one engineer is getting petrographic analyses done on and writing off houses if the report contains the word mica. He hasn't a clue what he's doing, but it then means that the homeowners can't get insurance. If you did the same analysis on most houses in Wicklow, Cork, Kerry, Galway, Wexford, Kilkenny, Down and Louth, you'd find mica. Their houses are not falling down, but apparently mica is still the issue. And the taxpayer is on the hook for it. It's horseshit.

This is getting worse, it seems foundation problems have been discovered, a different mineral to mica
one expert on rte radio said purely rebuilding the structure is futile,
foundations are not covered in redress scheme.

There was no shortage of that. Also, smooth render is not recommended for areas with high driving rain index, such as the northern and western coastal counties of Donegal and Mayo.

There's a huge lack of understanding, one engineer is getting petrographic analyses done on and writing off houses if the report contains the word mica. He hasn't a clue what he's doing, but it then means that the homeowners can't get insurance. If you did the same analysis on most houses in Wicklow, Cork, Kerry, Galway, Wexford, Kilkenny, Down and Louth, you'd find mica. Their houses are not falling down, but apparently mica is still the issue. And the taxpayer is on the hook for it. It's horseshit.

Interesting.

From what Ive read their legal team have argued that the national standards for blocks wasn't good enough.

Why the state admitted liability is baffling
This has the potential to leave the state on the hook for untold billions.

You really cant trust people from the border counties..theres like an inherent dishonesty in them.

"Aye..it will cost me 500k to rebuild my wee house so it will"

Bollocks

Redress suggests that the ROI government was at fault..which they were not.

Tbh I was speaking to a fella recently who had full planning on his site and three separate builders have quoted him around the 480 mark for a 1300 sq ft home.

This is a combination of labour shortage and record high material costs. He's leaving it off until prices come down.

Interesting.

From what Ive read their legal team have argued that the national standards for blocks wasn't good enough.

Many with the attitude of ....let the government pay for it dont seem to realise or care that in fact that
means the tax payer,

Interesting.

They used the wrong blocks in many cases. The same quarry supplied builders across the border, but there were no issues in the north. I can tell you now that the border does not magically remove mica, so there must another explanation.

They used the wrong blocks in many cases. The same quarry supplied builders across the border, but there were no issues in the north. I can tell you now that the border does not magically remove mica, so there must another explanation.

Yeah Ive been reading about many other areas that potentially have these issues.

Opening up the taxpayer upto to open ended liability is completely mental.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Horgan Brothers: Princes Of The Picture Theatre
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼