Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Connolly would be the obvious choice of current options. Has the physicality and often welcomes it. Enough pace to manage too and his scoring ability has not been used properly. This idea of him simply being a poacher needs to be gotten rid of, and maybe he needs to hear it himself. He'll learn quickly from this year and I hope he's the focal guy next year.

I think we could be using Robbie O Flynn better too although he seems to be needed on the wing as well from a ball winning point of view.
I thought Robbie did very well yesterday. I don't get the lack of love for him. He was one of Corks best players yesterday along with Cahalane and Joyce.
I agree about Connolly, he's a certainty as an inside forward going forward. Hopefully more young lads will make the leap from the squad into the team next year. We really need new blood up front.

Two points picked by recent posts. Firstly, the block on JOC was arguably the match decider. If we scored there we finally got level. When you are behind getting level is key. It is huge psychologically. JOC took too long but credit the block, it won the match for Galway.

Also agree we are shooting for goal too early for whatever reason. Even when we do, we don't bounce it mostly. As someone above noted we got away with in Waterford and in fact even Fitzgibbon shot too early when scoring in Thurles (though he did bounce it). Did it every time yesterday in the first half.

I thought Robbie did very well yesterday. I don't get the lack of love for him. He was one of Corks best players yesterday along with Cahalane and Joyce.
I agree about Connolly, he's a certainty as an inside forward going forward. Hopefully more young lads will make the leap from the squad into the team next year. We really need new blood up front.
No I'm a huge fan of Robbie myself too but I think we could use him more. He's at his best when he's given the chance to run things his way which is why I think it might be worth giving him a chance centrally. I know lads interchange a lot now a days but too often he drifts in and out of games whether through being starved of ball or not getting into it himself.

I think Kyle Hayes was 19 when he won man of the match in the all-Ireland final at 11. The position was subsequently filled by Lynch when he was 21/22. The role of centre forward has changed from 10 years ago, in many cases they are given license to roam as opposed to being a target man (like Niall Mac), this is more how Lynch plays the position or how about Tony Kelly when he plays there, he pops up all over the place.

A lot has to do with puck out strategy and as Cork generally don't belt it down the middle of the pitch (you can argue they should and pick a bigger player, but that is for another day) than I think he wasn't picked there to be a target man thus negating some of your arguments. In hindsight it didn't suit him or maybe he wasn't given long enough to grow into the role, but saying it was a mistake or not fair to try him out there does a disservice to the player himself more than anything else, I'm sure he was delighted at the time to be picked there.
Yes. Kyle Hayes is a 6 foot 6 inch freak of an athlete.
Took Gearoid Mcinerney to the absolute cleaners as a teenager.
Lynch is the best 11 in the game - can do everything in the position and is just as content creating as scoring.
Harnedy is a great servant to cork - might be time to unearth a new 11.

God I dunno, if we’re getting rid of the likes of Downey I’d be really worried, now if better comes along fair enough but he’s a guy who can mix it and hurl, I think we need more like him, not less
Not getting rid of him but next year I think Daire O Leary will be at 3, Joyce at 6, Coleman at 7 and O Donoghue at 4 and I think Ger Millerick will be a certain starter at either 2 or 5.

That will leave a lot of players chasing just one position.

This is crazy stuff, there is this absolute unquantifiable rubbish spoken about pace in cork…..does Declan hannon have serious pace or mcinerney or John conlan for example?
He is a 22 year old aggressive defender who is well worth his place in next years panel as a wing back, if selectors don’t think he is good enough to be in the top 30 hurlers in cork they are worse then I thought
Why would not have him in the squad , do you not rate him at all ?
I know you don't know much about hurling but that is extreme even for you.

Diarmuid Byrnes would be the perfect comparison, aggressive, good hurler but lacks a little pace but covers that up by good defensive play. The only thing I would say Diarmuid has over Rob is he is a fabulous striker of the ball but then we don’t leave Rob hit the ball long
R & B
Look at the protection the Limerick backs get from their midfield and half forward line.
If we had the Limerick midfield it would totally transform our team.

Barrett was flying it in the league but got battered when the real hurling started and seems to have fallen out of favour. He's a light lad too but I think he probably should have got more game time on the wing or the corner. No doubt he'll respond, he's got the right attitude. Himself, Jack and Fitzgibbon should hang out with Connolly more and eat the gym for the winter.
I think that he lost out because of not doing well against Waterford, after that the team settled with improved performances and results and it became difficult to make changes.
He will be older, more experienced next year and has a big future ahead of him.

Why would not have him in the squad , do you not rate him at all ?
I know you don't know much about hurling but that is extreme even for you.
Don’t take what I say out of context fuckwit…..you are putting pace above everything else in rating players, typical nice cork hurling supporter….other factors such as aggression and will to win are as important

Don’t take what I say out of context fuckwit…..you are putting pace above everything else in rating players, typical nice cork hurling supporter….other factors such as aggression and will to win are as important
Is it not possible for you to string two sentences together without including a swear or trying to insult.

I don't have regard for your opinion, I am sure you don't have any for mine and I am happy to leave it there.

BTW. I never suggested dropping Downey from the squad and I explained to R & B in a different post why I think he may lose out as a starter next year from the team.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Personal Vanity Project

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11:30pm

More events ▼