Sinn Fein are not a Normal Political Party

Brexit was never an "emotive" issue for the British electorate and there was never any screaming for a Brexit poll until UKIP started to eat into the Tories power base driven by right-wingers and then David Cameron foolishly agreed to have a referendum which was then highjacked by Russia and dodgy funding to try to destabilise the E.U. and feed the right-wing nationalists red meat.

Thus Brexit has been an unmitigated disaster as it was never even thought through in the first place and now they are just simply ignoring the effects as it is too embarrassing to even to admit to reality of poor decision making and daft slogans that were nonsense.

A "United Ireland" poll is also not an "emotive issue" and apart from yourself no one is screaming for one every other day.

You think having a United Ireland something that every party in this state says the aspire to, and something that has a number of international agreements around, is not emotive? :oops:

Wrong again Earl. You tried to lecture me about "reading the reading" posts whereas if you followed your own advice you wouldn't have posted that mess. But of course practicing what you preach isn't your thing as you're the biggest hypocrite on PROC
Still ignoring the content of the post, run away again like you did yesterday, coward.

You think having a United Ireland something that every party in this state says the aspire to, and something that has a number of international agreements around, is not emotive? :oops:
Apathy and ambivalence for the most part as it does not even register in peoples daily lives as they deal with the cost of living, housing shortage, health post C-19 and an actual war in Eastern Europe.

Will there be mass protests on the streets, open weeping and self-flagellation on the streets if there is not a border poll anytime soon?

No.

Apathy and ambivalence for the most part as it does not even register in peoples daily lives as they deal with the cost of living, housing shortage, health post C-19 and an actual war in Eastern Europe.

Will there be mass protests on the streets, open weeping and self-flagellation on the streets if there is not a border poll anytime soon?

No.
But you'd accept no one is asking for one anytime soon.

But you'd accept no one is asking for one anytime soon.
Because it is not an emotive urgent issue and is only an irrelevant abstract concept in most peoples lives and if it never happens very few people will even care.

If anything it is an energy sapping pointless distraction.

Something is afoot. Johnson is pulling all the dead cats outta the bag now. He has just announced amnesty/immunity for British veterans posted in NI during the civil war. This accompanies the announcement this morning with Truss gonna rip up the protocol.

What does anytime soon mean? Timeline like?
LouLou said 5 years in 2019, is that anytime soon?
I've said 2028 or 2030 - do you think that is too soon?
THK says 20 years - do you think that is too soon?

I posted yesterday (or maybe the day before) she should have rejected the question.
At the last GE down here it was 5 years.
When asked in a presser after the election at the weekend she said 5 years.
If she was consistent she'd have said 3.
It can't be 5 years all the time and more than that - if there is no prep for it it should not happen at all.
Yes I did just type that. Having a Brexit type BP at any point without proper planning in advance is fucking madness.

And I suspect that is why any talk of even having a discussion about it is being blown out of the water.

Either way as someone else posted, the election at the weekend was not fought on a BP or the protocol. It was fought on cost of living and health. I think I posted Suzanne Breen said she shadowed the DUP in Lagan Valley and practically no one raised the protocol and yet we are where we are.

I will try to leave it at this - we (down South) might not ever want a BP per THK yesterday. That doesn't matter. A majority WILL want one at some point in the not too distant future in the North (Northern Ireland). If and when it passes, or when and if it passes, it won't matter what we think down here. You made the point yourself you think the Dáil only has to ratify, as opposed to a concurrent referendum. What odds do you think there are of a Dáil telling a Yes vote for reunification to fuck off, especially with all the inward money it will inevitably bring.

But sure look at least we are only having a chat about it in a respectful manner (y)

A majority WILL want one at some point in the not too distant future in the North (Northern Ireland). If and when it passes, or when and if it passes, it won't matter what we think down here.
Where is the evidence for this?

Can you point us to any recent poll on this claim that agrees with your assumption?

Where is the evidence for this?

Can you point us to any recent poll on this claim that agrees with your assumption?
Demographics especially after the next census comes out will prove it.
There is no nationalist majority at the moment and it would fail about 60/40.
At the weekend there was 40% nationalist, 40% unionist and 20% down the middle.
The nationalist vote in terms of seats is holding.
The unionist vote in terms of seats and percentage of vote is declining.
I think you may have posted a graphic indicating that yourself.
Brandon Lewis seemed to indicate at the weekend that an assembly election that had more nationalists seats than unionists might, might be a criterion. Based on this election that is not far off at all.

Where I think my point fails is if unionism changes tack.

If unionism implements the GFA, SAA and NDNA in full, including the protocol, it would completely pull the rug from under that direction of travel and move it towards the THK timeframe instead, by making NI work on an equal basis for all. What about what the DUP are doing makes it look to you that they are respecting equality or democracy?.

We seem to think that the constitutional issue was resolved by the GFA in that it said NI was British.
It was resolved by the GFA in that it said NI was British unless a majority by referendum say otherwise.
Do you really think nationalism will not want to exercise that option in the GFA for unity, for a return to fill EU citizenship and benefits etc etc when the opportunity arises?

At the start of Indyref1 independence was at 27%, by your logic there shouldn't have been a referendum.
By the end it was 52% without the covenant which was immediately reneged on afterwards which meant indy was left at 45%. When the question is asked and the vote is meaningful - do you think nationalists will vote no? Not in a LucidTalk poll? in an actual referendum?

It is fanciful and wishful thinking to believe because we are happy with the current constitutional arrangements, there is no violence, it isn't registering in the top 6 or 7 issues in a southern election largely because we down here have been independent for over a century, that those who compromised in the GFA to accept the status quo and wait for a border poll will not ask for one just because we would prefer they didn't. And to be very clear, as I have posted over and over again, the they I am referring to is not SF. It is the people of the North, all 1.8 million of them.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

17th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼