The Action Plan for Housing.

There was a rally in town for the right to housing

Mick Barry thinks that increasing the minimum wage will help solve the crisis does he? All that would do is normalise high rents by making them more affordable, in relative terms.

Also I'd love to see a survey of local businesses if they were asked how they feel about a €15 minimum wage. Can't see too many cafes or bars in favour of a 40% increase in their labour costs.

Also I think that talk of forcing landlords to cut rents is absolutely terrifying. So many of them are leaving the market as it is, and that is only going to be exacerbated if restrictions are put on their incomes and selling up is more viable than renting the property out.

I had a look this morning and there are just 25 properties available to rent in Cork City. Most of those are 3-4 bed suburban houses too. If you want to rent an apartment in Cork, it ain't happening.

If for whatever reason my landlord decided to sell up, I'd be moving back with the parents, or living on the street, because there is nowhere else to go.

The likes of Mick Barry seem oblivious to how that would be a direct result of his proposed market interference.

Rant over.

“There is a deadly combination of low pay and high rents, and we urgently need a €15-an-hour minimum wage, and we urgently need legislation which doesn’t just freeze rents, but actually cuts them, because they are at unreasonable, unjust levels,” Deputy Barry said.
cutting rents will see landlords continue to leave the market, likes of mick barry and gould hate landlords and tar them all with the same brush

1573062300942.jpg--.jpg
Meh

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Flook With Special Guest Patsy Reid
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

9th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Silent Disco : All The Hits

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼