Claire Byrne

I know you're being dramatic here PhishY but I think you are correct.. except for the What Would the Neighbours Think? angle

Its more of a maternal thing - more like What would Johnnys friends think if he's the only one in the class that doesn't make his communion? Kids can be horrible to each other so why would you make your child the one thats different?

If people would just be honest with themselves for 1 minute we could get past this in an instant. One meeting at the start of the year amongst parents and a show of hands for anyone who actually wants their kids to make their communion, you'd probably be left with a small minority. Grand job, off to Sunday school with them, same as a child with an interest in GAA or rugby going to the club. When May comes there would be some kids making communion and some not, no biggie - problem solved

I see your point, alright. Kids don't have a clue, and anything that sticks out is pounced on.

The men in the funny dresses don't want honesty, except when they're at themselves listening to people's confessions.

My mam was telling me how when she was young and the priest was calling to your house for whatever reason, the family would bow and scrape and offer the best food and drink.

Know what keeps me warm at night, Mange_Y? Knowing that there still are voodoo merchants around who lived in those wonder years and have seen priest worship fade almost completely away.

How the fuck did we let these cultists infect our society?

I'm actually not that confident that many parents would turn down communion and all the other magic ceremony stuff, though. Women, especially, value the security of religion, and I can see how seductive it is:

"We know how the universe was made and how it all works. We know you go somewhere nice where you die."

versus

"We don't know how the universe was made or how it all works. When you die, you go where every other living creature goes: in the ground, if you're lucky."

Was having some issues with our 7 year old for a while as he wanted to make his communion even though I was totally against it and wife wasn't mad on it either.

We are still not certain which way it will go yet and will back him if he really wants to but it's looking like he won't make it now as the only thing he really wanted was a bouncy castle.

Oh he'll get a bouncy castle Honky, he'll get the biggest bouncy castle on planet Earth.

Ha, thats it right there. They want the money and new bike or console that comes with it and for some reason parents are willing to spend a fortune on a day that means nothing to themselves.I remember making my own confirmation and sitting there thinking what a lock of bollox the whole thing was but I got a leather jacket (80s) and a new bike out of it all

My eldest is starting school in Sept, we have put him in a junior school that only has kids from junior infants to 1st class so thats the communion debate put away for a few years. It would sicken me to start into this shite so if a bouncy castle is the answer then Ill place the order now :)

Ha, thats it right there. They want the money and new bike or console that comes with it and for some reason parents are willing to spend a fortune on a day that means nothing to themselves.I remember making my own confirmation and sitting there thinking what a lock of bollox the whole thing was but I got a leather jacket (80s) and a new bike out of it all

My eldest is starting school in Sept, we have put him in a junior school that only has kids from junior infants to 1st class so thats the communion debate put away for a few years. It would sicken me to start into this shite so if a bouncy castle is the answer then Ill place the order now :)

Agree with all above. His older brother opted out of his confession and my nephew didn't make confession either.

And all of these kids are in small rural schools. Things are a changing but it will be another while until this nonsense is fully gone.

Agree with all above. His older brother opted out of his confession and my nephew didn't make confession either.

And all of these kids are in small rural schools. Things are a changing but it will be another while until this nonsense is fully gone.

Ive sat through 2 baptisms and listened to some prick telling me that my innocent couple-of-week-old little baby had some sort of sin.. and then rabbit on about the devil and some other shite

I actually asked to be an alter boy when I was a kid! I can only be thankful that my parents had more cop on (despite being religious) than to let me near those fiddlers

actually, they probably just didn't want to get up to drive me to alter boy training at the crack of dawn!

This stuff really makes me want to start an Irish chapter of The Satanic Temple here.

I know the Church has a 'special position' in the constitution, but is there any leeway that would enable me to apply for planning permission to erect on public areas statues of Baphomet next to where there are already statues of the corpse god?

This stuff really makes me want to start an Irish chapter of The Satanic Temple here.

I know the Church has a 'special position' in the constitution, but is there any leeway that would enable me to apply for planning permission to erect on public areas statues of Baphomet next to where there are already statues of the corpse god?

That guy is either a comedic genius or a total psychopath :lol:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼