Touristy places in Ireland

Lads,

Need some help here. A friend is coming over from the states for a week. Need a few ideas of places to go see, which are actually worth seeing.....!!!

The cliffs of moher is on the list.....and the Guinness store... not sure what else- HELP

Totally depends on her interests and whether she wants to see the leprechaun side of Ireland or a bit more of interest.

Around Cork, Blarney Castle and if it would interest her, the Midleton Distillery.

Killarney National Park, the lakes, Gap of Dunloe etc.

If she wants something more relaxing than straightforward sightseeing, going to some of the islands in Roaringwater Bay. An alternative might be a trip to the Aran Islands when you're up at the Cliffs of Moher.

Further afield, Newgrange and Tara. They can be done on the same day from Dublin. Make sure you book your Newgrange tickets in advance.

If you head up North, the Giant's Causeway. Get there by driving along the coast from Belfast, instead of using the fast inland route. One of the most underrated places in Ireland is the Fermanagh lakelands, although how interesting that would be to a foreigner, I'm unsure.

Almost forgot... The Rock of Cashel. And if you're in the area, Cahir Castle or Kilkenny Castle are worth seeing.

Sound !!

Its actually a HE.....and thankfully he isnt into looking for leprechauns....the biggest challenge for him is meeting the old man !:silly:

The Burren & Aillwee Caves (or if you're going to be based more north the Monaghan caves are impressive).

If he's looking for culture outside of the cities, have a look around at what village fairs or summer fests are going on around the country, for instance the Fleadh Ceol in August in Tullamore.

Check out discoverireland.com as they break down options depending on interests - culture, heritage, outdoors etc.

We have lots to see!

I am traveling to Ireland in a month. It is my first visit but I would like to see Tara, Newgrange and the Boyne Valley-Skara Brae areas. I am fascinated by the "groved ware peoples" and would really like to visit as many of these Neolithic/megalithic sites as possible.

One of the coolest places in Ireland.

Hi Mushy..

One of the coolest places that your could bring them is a place called Craggaunowen. Its just passed Bunratty Castle in Clare on the way to Ennis.There will be a sign a couple of miles past Bunratty to turn off for Craggaunowen. Its always a stop i make with any friends visiting or not on way up to cliffs of Moher & doolin from i gCorcaigh..
Trust me they wont be dissapointed.Do alot of travelling around our magical lands and tis one of me favourite spots to visit. Everybody i have ever brought leaves the place gobsmacked at how nice place is to walk around..
Have an aul look for yourself:

http://www.craggaunowen.org/

All best & enjoy the trip..

Another Magical spot is Derrynane & Caherdaniel on the ring of Kerry. It has some of the most beautiful beaches in South & Daniel O Connel's house on the beach with its magical gardens to walk around .there's also alot of beautiful sites in surrounding areas,you can visit the Skellig Rock from here & i think its the last year you can visit cos some American fell last year & past away so its going to be the last year you can visit the Islands.Send me a private message and i can send you number of a friend who does boat trips to the Skellings.
Met this guy recently down there and he has a Gallery in caherdaniel village and doing alot of amazing stuff..Here's interesting site to look at...would ya believe that there's 1 1/2 metre Leatherback turtles of the south West coast:

Have look at video on top right the of screen:

www.derrynane.ie

Last edited:
Lads,

Need some help here. A friend is coming over from the states for a week. Need a few ideas of places to go see, which are actually worth seeing.....!!!

The cliffs of moher is on the list.....and the Guinness store... not sure what else- HELP

the south is good. do the ring of kerrz. do the slea head drive. cross teh shannon at killimer or is talbert. bunratty is shite. guinnes sstore is expensive

The Burren & Aillwee Caves (or if you're going to be based more north the Monaghan caves are impressive).

If he's looking for culture outside of the cities, have a look around at what village fairs or summer fests are going on around the country, for instance the Fleadh Ceol in August in Tullamore.

Check out discoverireland.com as they break down options depending on interests - culture, heritage, outdoors etc.

We have lots to see!

aillwee caves area ripp off. they charge more than 15 euro in!
try doolin cave, dunmore cave or mitchelstown. much better.

I am traveling to Ireland in a month. It is my first visit but I would like to see Tara, Newgrange and the Boyne Valley-Skara Brae areas. I am fascinated by the "groved ware peoples" and would really like to visit as many of these Neolithic/megalithic sites as possible.

sligo is the best. carrowkeel, ceis corann, ben bulban etc.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 5:30pm

More events ▼