what book you reading at the moment? (incl poll)

Do you like to read books

• Total voters
Oh excellent, I love a short story collection.

Just finished "Free Therapy" by Rebecca Ivory. Nice collection of short stories. Some of them didn't have enough substances imo, but there's definitely the bones of a good writer there. It's her first published collection afaik.
Bear in mind that apart from one of the 18 stories, the rest are are on the dark sides to life. Quality is a bit variable too.

You-are-a-badass-1.jpg

I'm very confident that reading this book will stop me doubting my greatness and help me to be more aswesome.

(y)
I, like many people, used to sort of look down on self-help books, but when you think about it they are trying to help people answer questions like 'how do I live right?', 'what is the right thing to do?' or 'how do I find meaning?' and these are fundamental philosophical questions so that sort of changed my perspective.

day of the jackal

tbh, for something written in 1963 without the internet the level of detail is astonishing. between weaponry, city geography and whatever else there must have been a serious amount of research done.

in saying that, there’s a lot of “pip, pip, old chap!” in it but it’s very good. around fifty pages to go.

solid 6/10

day of the jackal

tbh, for something written in 1963 without the internet the level of detail is astonishing. between weaponry, city geography and whatever else there must have been a serious amount of research done.

in saying that, there’s a lot of “pip, pip, old chap!” in it but it’s very good. around fifty pages to go.

solid 6/10
I love Day of the Jackal, read it first when i was 15 a cracking yarn

Forsyth was infamous for his research. when he was writing the dogs of war he almost started a coup in Equatorial Guinea by accident on behalf of the Igbo tribe who he was known to be sympathetic too after his coverage of the Biafran war.

He went at far as meeting arms dealers and getting quotes from mercenary groups.

Last edited:
day of the jackal

solid 6/10

Reread that a few years ago. An enjoyable romp. The 2 movie adaps were poor.

The Odessa file is a real page turner too.

Didn't realise he was still alive , 85 years young.

Berserker - Adrian Edmondson's memoir.

Funny enough in places. Hes had an interesting life. Bit too much 'needless to say I had the last laugh-isms' for my liking.

First physical form book Ive bought in a long time. I love my Kindle, triffic device but theres a lot to be said for actually holding a book in your hands.

Last edited:
Just finished
26 Marathons by Meb Keflezighi.

Good if you could use a dose of positivity in your life. Each chapter is a reflection on one of his Marathons and the lessons he took from it.

Zero dirt or score settling, all wholesome stuff. you'd want to be into it. i was as it happens, but glad a borrowed it from the library rather then own it.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

26th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼