what book you reading at the moment? (incl poll)

Do you like to read books

• Total voters
The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School, Kim Newman

I read everything Kim Newman puts out. Even at his worst, he's good. The Secrets of Drearcliff Grange School is Harry Potteresque, but I have no idea who its intended audience is. The language is far too advanced even for young adults. It's set in a girls' school in an alternate 1950s in which certain people have superpowers like flight and super speed. I like it, and sometimes I like it a lot. It's charming and every page is peppered with interesting prose and fresh ways of presenting well-worn imagery. There's a sequel, and I'll be reading that too.

Used enjoy his video dungeon column in Empire.

Think I read his vampire books.

Edit: Anno Dracula, I did too. Must be 15 years ago or more. Completely forgetten them.

1709824358937.jpeg

Finished this last week. IT's a good book, but it's also tough to read. How easily middle aged men with families became mass murdering cunts is depressing tbh.

1709824454550.png

I very rarely read fiction but this book feels like a novel. But it's not. It's all true. It's utterly engrossing, and I'm giving Dopesick a re-watch once I finish this.

The Choice by Edith Eger

I mentioned this in The Mental Health thread a week ago. Since then I've nearly finished it. One of the best and most inspirational books I've ever read (well listened to in this case). The gist of this book is she's a survivor of the nazi Death camps, and the work she does after it to process how she survived. It sounds like a lot of psychology, and a bit depressing, but it's anything but, and is full of life lessons too.

Cannot recommend it highly enough.

The Choice by Edith Eger

I mentioned this in The Mental Health thread a week ago. Since then I've nearly finished it. One of the best and most inspirational books I've ever read (well listened to in this case). The gist of this book is she's a survivor of the nazi Death camps, and the work she does after it to process how she survived. It sounds like a lot of psychology, and a bit depressing, but it's anything but, and is full of life lessons too.

Cannot recommend it highly enough.
I read this and it was brilliant. A fantastic read definitely.

I just finished ' POOR ' by Katriona O Sullivan.
About a girl born to Addict Parents and how she rose above her childhood to getting a degree in Trinity College.

A tough read in parts but very inspirational. Would recommend it .

Reading Frozen In Time about the Franklin Expedition to find the North West Passage. Crews of both ships Terror and Erebus starved to death without ever finding it.
They found both ships a couple of years ago intact at the bottom of the sea.
Fairly grim reading at the exhumation of three of the bodies as well..

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼