Training Run Times

Got back out for a wee 2 miles today.
I've been battling with this annoying calf tightness issue that was first in both calves and now just in my right.

Really couldn't run for more than 10 minutes before seizing up despite stretching and all sorts.

Bit of physio and it's been put down to my gym shoe.

Went out late last week for 25 minutes and it went well but they almost seized up with a few minutes left, had to stop and stretch.

Shorter 2 miles today and they felt much better again. Might head out tomorrow for a slightly longer one and see how they go.
Build nice and slowly, stretch well afterwards

Struggling a little bit mentally in recent times and decided that I need to start improving my lifestyle, namely eating better and exercising more or to be more precise, at all!
So I bought myself a pair of running shoes today, charged up an old smart watch I have that has all the tracking software on it and I'm going to put foot to ground this week.

I've done the odd 5k before but that was years ago before the kids and the belly.
Long term I'd love to do the Cork City Marathon and am thinking I might set the 2025 one as a target but we'll see how I go I guess.

Short term I just want to clear my head, improve my health and set a good example for my kids.
If I can achieve that then ultimately I'll be happy I think.

Struggling a little bit mentally in recent times and decided that I need to start improving my lifestyle, namely eating better and exercising more or to be more precise, at all!
So I bought myself a pair of running shoes today, charged up an old smart watch I have that has all the tracking software on it and I'm going to put foot to ground this week.

I've done the odd 5k before but that was years ago before the kids and the belly.
Long term I'd love to do the Cork City Marathon and am thinking I might set the 2025 one as a target but we'll see how I go I guess.

Short term I just want to clear my head, improve my health and set a good example for my kids.
Good man, this thread has everything from lads starting from scratch to fellas running marathons in incredible times, and everything in between.

Don’t worry about the watch for now, just start with short runs, walk a bit if you need to, and try to extend either the distance or the time you are running each week by a small amount

A standing start to a marathon in a year is a hell of a target, you might be better to work through the distances and see where you are as you progress? Run a 5km race, 10km, 10 mile, half etc and see where you are

If there’s a park run near you they are brilliant events, it’s a 5km run as opposed to a race and you’ll find every shape, size and age of runner there plus an encouraging atmosphere.

I've been roped in to do a leg of the Lux marathon with a few fairly fast fookers. I'll be the slowest of the 4 but I do have a short (8k) and easy/flat part. The others should be about 3.30km pace (*2), a 3.45 fella ............ And me. I'm hoping to be sub 4 min pace per km by then. Just. Shouldn't slow the overall time by much. What I'm dreading and looking forward to is the calibre of runner I'll be surrounded by when I pick up the baton. If the first lad does 3.25 pace approx then I'll be in and around the elite women, which could be fun. As I say, half dreading it, half super-excited. May 11th, better do a bit of quality training beforehand so as not to embarrass the parish.

If you can join a local club they might have a couch to 5k group, ideal for those starting out, best of luck,
Welcome aboard,

Do any of ye wear specific socks when running, Since sunday the underneath my foot just below the toes is sore,
Has improved with icing and stretching but still tender, Is there a sock out there with extra cushioning?

Do any of ye wear specific socks when running, Since sunday the underneath my foot just below the toes is sore,
Has improved with icing and stretching but still tender, Is there a sock out there with extra cushioning?
Have you seen or tried the 1000 Mile sock, Jimmy? Only ever had one pair but they were good.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Io Capitano (15A)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

1st May 2024 @ 8:05 pm
More info..

Home In Ireland: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 1:30pm

More events ▼