The Official Athletics Thread

Entries for world indoors posted today. No huge surprises. Jacob Ingebritsen has entered the 1500. Fair play to him. He always shows up and races. Need to take a proper look at the field yet though.

Ukraine sending 6 female athletes. Fair play to them. I hope they get a great reception and there is no bollocksology from the Serbs

Entries for world indoors posted today. No huge surprises. Jacob Ingebritsen has entered the 1500. Fair play to him. He always shows up and races. Need to take a proper look at the field yet though.

Ukraine sending 6 female athletes. Fair play to them. I hope they get a great reception and there is no bollocksology from the Serbs
Have you a link to the entries GuapoY?

Edit - just found them (y)

Last edited:
Griggs should really be considering the states. Lads like Brian Fay, Barry Keane, Shane Bracken have showed they are a little ahead compared to everyone else who's based at home

Griggs should really be considering the states. Lads like Brian Fay, Barry Keane, Shane Bracken have showed they are a little ahead compared to everyone else who's based at home
I'd be inclined to agree with you but also I'd say the situation you end up in makes a huge difference and its probably difficult enough to get good advice on where to go this side of the pond.

Aoife Cooke went to Arkansas and Nadia Power to providence both "traditonal" schools for Irish athletes and had crap enough times with isolation and injury.

Same with Ciaran O'Lionard who had to transfer from michigan to Florida state to get a new lease of life.

I'd say all the east coast schools, with bad weather and coaches who have been in situ for 60 years are no longer the best spot for young fellas.

Ole miss, NAU, UNM all seem to be talent hot houses currently.

Alester cragg is at North Carolina and going great.

Not many irish people would be steered in that direction. They'd all be told go to Villanova.

I just hope he doesn't go pro for a few years.
That seems like a bad idea unless they are absolutely showering you with cash. The structures aren't there look at Mary Caine or Drew Hunter. Hobbs Kessler went pro at 17, it might work out it might not. Griggs is better than him. And if it ends up beinf UCD having the best irish fellas train day in day out is probably not a bad idea either

I'd be inclined to agree with you but also I'd say the situation you end up in makes a huge difference and its probably difficult enough to get good advice on where to go this side of the pond.

Aoife Cooke went to Arkansas and Nadia Power to providence both "traditonal" schools for Irish athletes and had crap enough times with isolation and injury.

Same with Ciaran O'Lionard who had to transfer from michigan to Florida state to get a new lease of life.

I'd say all the east coast schools, with bad weather and coaches who have been in situ for 60 years are no longer the best spot for young fellas.

Ole miss, NAU, UNM all seem to be talent hot houses currently.

Alester cragg is at North Carolina and going great.

Not many irish people would be steered in that direction. They'd all be told go to Villanova.

I just hope he doesn't go pro for a few years.
That seems like a bad idea unless they are absolutely showering you with cash. The structures aren't there look at Mary Caine or Drew Hunter. Hobbs Kessler went pro at 17, it might work out it might not. Griggs is better than him. And if it ends up beinf UCD having the best irish fellas train day in day out is probably not a bad idea either
Over the years UCD have shown themselves to be a serious cut above the other Irish 3rd level institutions when it comes to developing elite athletes - but you'd need to take a good look at who was going to be coaching and who else would be training there. High performance programs are where it's at for elite sport in GAA-dominated Ireland - rowing and swimming (and occasionally boxing) have delivered that way. The danger with a runner is that, all alone, they train too much, compete too much / too little and ultimately burn out or go stale.

So, if there isn't a training pod in Ireland, he should go to one in the States - having first had a chat with El Guapo of course ;)

Over the years UCD have shown themselves to be a serious cut above the other Irish 3rd level institutions when it comes to developing elite athletes - but you'd need to take a good look at who was going to be coaching and who else would be training there. High performance programs are where it's at for elite sport in GAA-dominated Ireland - rowing and swimming (and occasionally boxing) have delivered that way. The danger with a runner is that, all alone, they train too much, compete too much / too little and ultimately burn out or go stale.

So, if there isn't a training pod in Ireland, he should go to one in the States - having first had a chat with El Guapo of course ;)
LOL. The answer to a lot of lifes questions lie in the local talkpage scene.

You're spot on about UCD. I passed through Belfield a few times prior to the pandemic for the first time. The facilities are exceptional. Leinster Rugby all over the place and the photogenic irish hockey stars were being featured prominently. Any young sports person with any national ambitions would want to be a part of that

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼