The Gaelic Football Thread

Its not even a practice squad spot. its a camp spot AFAIK
I must check it out a bit more but my understanding is that NFL have 53 players on the roster. That’s like our Inter county GAA match day panel of 26.

On top of that they can have up to 16 players on the “practice squad” which includes any guys who are injured. The IPP is to be added to the practice squad this year for a total of 17 practice squad.
I think our inter county teams are limited to 35 or 36.
If the IPP is called up to the active roster of 53, the practice squad number goes back to 16.
Being on the practice squad is no small achievement and it also carries a set salary of minimum $800k -$1m maximum!

Pre season training camp roster is set at max 90 players which includes anyone invited for trials. That panel must be cut to active roster of 53 plus the practice squad by a certain date.
That’s my understanding of how it all works anyway. It all seems a better and fairer system than the premiership. A proper salary cap and the draft system too make it a very exciting league. The 32nd team would be looking to draft well to build a championship winning side in the next few years. That would be like a team at the bottom of the championship in the UK buying academy player to win the premiership in a few years time!!!

Tadhg Leader sounding bullish. There is an extra roster spot and teams are mandased to have an IPP in their training camp so competence with some versatility could well get them in the door. after that its down to performance
Charlie Smyth did well, nailed a 55yarder as well. When they moved them back to kick the 60yard, the turn on the stadium music full blast and the onfield coaches start trash talking them.

Charlie Smyth did well, nailed a 55yarder as well. When they moved them back to kick the 60yard, the turn on the stadium music full blast and the onfield coaches start trash talking them.
Mark Jackson the wicklow fella is built like a linebacker, apparently he nailed a kickoff 76 yards, 9 deep into the end zone..

thats a great story about Charlie Smith, i'd say the trash talk and distraction tactics are full on. They had to limit the stuff that could be said in interviews because players we're coming out fairly traumatised.

They asked Dez Bryant if his mam was a sex worker apparently.

Went back for another 2 or 3 but didn't make any great impact. He was diagnosed with Addison's Disease and retired form all sport I thought, maybe he was still playing for his club though. Don't know a lot about Addison's but is causes fatigue and I think needs to be managed with medication on going. You'd wonder would he be able for the rigors of county football at 36 with if it was debilitating at 26. Hopefully he has got on top of it.

Interesting to see if it works out, very clever player with great vision and ball skills.
Cheers hayeser. Remember about the addisons now. Agree he was a beautiful ball player, shame he never got a decent run at it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼