Me too

Matlock

This notion going around social media at the moment, initially credited to Alyssa Milano who tweeted, "Suggested by a friend: If all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote 'Me too' as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem."

(Turns out that it the same idea was put out by a woman named Tarana Burke many years ago but it didn't get traction at that time).

I have seen some women, and men, post it. Some adding details of their own experiences to it.

What do ye think? Would it shock ye to see many people on your friends list post that they had been subjected to sexual abuse or harassment? Would ye consider that this was too obvious to need highlighting? Would ye consider that it puts too much pressure on the victims of such acts to "confess"

zWrwLGo.png

what are the parameters for sexual harassment / assault?

Yeah, fair question. It would appear to me it could be anything from being whistled at (sexual harassment) to having your arse pinched, to being raped (sexual assault).

Personally I could claim "me too" but I think that would be an insult to people who have suffered sexual assaults that have impacted their life greatly.

Yeah, fair question. It would appear to me it could be anything from being whistled at (sexual harassment) to having your arse pinched, to being raped (sexual assault).

Personally I could claim "me too" but I think that would be an insult to people who have suffered sexual assaults that have impacted their life greatly.

Not doubting the cases of people but theres going to be some snowflakes/sjw's who are going to use it as an opportunity to say theyre "harassed" as their boss was mean to them when they fecked up or they made them stay behind late

what are the parameters for sexual harassment / assault?

Not clear.

Does that matter though? I think the idea is to show how widespread sexual harassment/assault is.

Getting shouted at in the street though obviously not in the league of sexual assault is not a pleasant experience. When I was in secondary school there was a guy who shouted or whistled at me at least once a week for about 2 years. I HATED him and I hated how self conscious it made me. The thing that I remember most about it was how powerless I felt though, he could do this and there seemed to be no consequence for him.

In fairness I met him many many years later in another context and he did apologise for how he had behaved, which took guts.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

DJ Cillian Moore

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼