Have you ever witnessed a violent death?

Dr. Aaoouh

I had three occasions in the 1970's.

The last was one night when I was driving through Chicago's Humboldt Park. As I came to a light, it turned yellow. There was a car in front of me that sped up, deciding to try to get across the intersection before it turned red. It hit a man on a bicycle crossing the street who had apparently decided that the light was about to turn green for him. The car hit him straight on and I saw him fly 15 or 20 feet straight up in the air. He came down and landed on his face, neck broken, dead.

The second to the last one was in the summer of 1976 in Cairo Egypt. I was crossing a very busy intersection late one morning. The intersection was so busy that rails had been put on at the corners. I saw a child of about ten or twelve cut under the rail to try to run across the street. He was hit by a taxi. He went up on the hood, through the windshield, through the car, and out the back window. The explosion of the two windows looked strangely like ice. People from the crowd came over and someone picked the boy up. I think that every bone in his body was broken. The driver was sitting there in shock. But when the crowd saw that the boy was dead, they pulled him from the taxi and began to beat him. I left without seeing how that ended.

The first time was in New Orleans in 1973. I was there for the first time, having driven straight down from Chicago. I was at the Marriott Hotel on Canal street looking out the window towards the French Quarter. There was a 3 story building there a few hundred feet away. I suddenly saw smoke coming from a window on the second floor. Then I saw a short thin man who appeared to be on fire squeeze out of a window and land face down on the sidewalk. This is what I turned out to be looking at.

How about you?

In the late 70's I was walking past a pub in Stockwell, London. It was at night and there was an altercation. I saw a guy stab another guy to death. I was frozen to the spot and as he ran away he looked at me. I was interviewed several times by the police but all I could tell them was that he was white, not old, not young. Just a typical guy you'd pass on the street.

Many years ago I saw a cyclist being blown away on the Wilton roundabout. That would have been early 70's? A fellow Spioraid Naoimh student.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! All Players Welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼