Cyclists

Just get rid of segregated cycle lanes and just have a road-use free for all?
View attachment 31171

Cork City centre last Saturday had cycle lanes with families on bikes,electric scooters and electric unicycles in the safe segregated cycle lanes.

You do not see people stuck on cycle lanes as they are effecient and move people through quickly.

Cars have also gotten much bigger thus taking up more space on the roads as well as parking and the costs of both buying and running a car are high.

Offer a secure and safe alternative as well as improving active travel and public transport options thus reducing road traffic, pollution and noise.

Brilliant. So can you tell us why the cyclists and scooterists don't use them?

Brilliant. So can you tell us why the cyclists and scooterists don't use them?
They can just use both according to you and preferebaly neither as they would not exist if you had your way.

Do all car drivers use all roads?

Do car drivers park on pavements?

Do car users park on yellow lines?

Cra drivers break road rules all day long and there is not enough Garda enforcement in the world to even prosecute or police.

They can just use both according to you and preferebaly neither as they would not exist if you had your way.

Do all car drivers use all roads?

Do car drivers park on pavements?

Do car users park on yellow lines?

Cra drivers break road rules all day long and there is not enough Garda enforcement in the world to even prosecute or police.

Even aside from the fact that you're talking bollix that if I had my way there'd be no cyclists given that I'm an occasional cyclist myself, that sentence is contradictory. Can you at least try to make it make some sense?

I'll ask you again - what benefit is it to go to great expense to put in segregated cycle lanes if they're not being used by cyclists travelling on those roads? Would it not make more sense either to make cycling in cycle lanes mandatory when cycle lanes are provided, or else leave the roadways less restricted so that cyclists have more effective room to give each other sufficient room when passing each other.

Restricting the width of a motor lane in order to facilitate segregated cycle lanes that aren't used much anyway makes little sense from a safety or (less important) economic point of view.
It takes time for the demand to build up. First you build the lanes, then people start to use them.

Think about why do people not cycle in cycle lanes when provided?

Finally, restricting the width of a motor lane reduces it's "design speed", which is the speed at which people think it's safe to drive. The Melbourne Road is a great example of where the original design speed of the road was way too high for the location, people used to (and still do) hammer down that road way, way over the speed limit.

Even aside from the fact that you're talking bollix that if I had my way there'd be no cyclists given that I'm an occasional cyclist myself, that sentence is contradictory. Can you at least try to make it make some sense?
Even an "occasional" cyclist would want segregated safe cycle lanes for ALL cyclists.

Safer for the driver and safer for the cyclist.

What driver wants to mix it up on the roads with cyclists anyway?

Everyone is a winner.

It takes time for the demand to build up. First you build the lanes, then people start to use them.

Think about why do people not cycle in cycle lanes when provided?

Finally, restricting the width of a motor lane reduces it's "design speed", which is the speed at which people think it's safe to drive. The Melbourne Road is a great example of where the original design speed of the road was way too high for the location, people used to (and still do) hammer down that road way, way over the speed limit.

The Melbourne Road has one of those interactive speed limit signs. Anyone that proceeds in excess of that speed (apart from an emergency) is a c**t

The Melbourne Road has one of those interactive speed limit signs. Anyone that proceeds in excess of that speed (apart from an emergency) is a c**t
I live in the area and can confirm they’re quite a few Max Verstappen impersonators about
Going at least 15k+ above the speed limit
Crazy as there are quite a few schools in the area

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼