Cultural Advice

Dr. Aaoouh

A friend of mine tells me that she has written a novel. I'm not sure what kind of a novel it is even by its description (it almost sounds like one of those "young adult" things). But she asked me is I knew any Irish people who could answer some questions for her about some things she would like to include. Of course, I immediately thought of this place.

Here's her description:

I'm finishing my novel, "Old Sins." Do you know Irish Gaelic? I'd like to know how to say "field of heather" in Gaelic. Do you know?

In my book (a mystery) Maria, the protagonist, hides from a man who wants to kill her, inside a prehistoric burial mound. Though the tomb has been excavated, a wall has fallen which reveals another tomb, so far un-excavated. After she escapes, the contents of the tomb goes to a museum in Dublin. I want a name for the site of the tomb. Like Newgrange. I sited a field of heather nearby. I can change the plant and also the name. What do you recommend? I made up a name for a town: Coomara. I placed it south of the Wickows. I'd also like a few name for the killer, a man named Laddy Ahearne, to call his cohorts when he's furious with them. I've used "Shite."

What she wants to know is:

1. How does one say "field of heather" in Irish? (I told her that I wasn't even sure if heather was an Irish thing)

2. For the character named Laddy Ahearne (Laddy?! Really?) I told her that gobshite might be something to say to or about one person and "shower of cunts" might work for a group, although I don't know how large or small a group it would apply to. Does anyone have any better substitutes for either?

3. "Coomara" doesn't quite sound right. And I'm not sure if she means Wicklow for "Wickows".

Can anyone help a brother out?

A friend of mine tells me that she has written a novel. I'm not sure what kind of a novel it is even by its description (it almost sounds like one of those "young adult" things). But she asked me is I knew any Irish people who could answer some questions for her about some things she would like to include. Of course, I immediately thought of this place.

Here's her description:

1. How does one say "field of heather" in Irish? (I told her that I wasn't even sure if heather was an Irish thing)

2. For the character named Laddy Ahearne (Laddy?! Really?) I told her that gobshite might be something to say to or about one person and "shower of cunts" might work for a group, although I don't know how large or small a group it would apply to. Does anyone have any better substitutes for either?

3. "Coomara" doesn't quite sound right. And I'm not sure if she means Wicklow for "Wickows".

Good call on the gobshite. As for the heather go with Shamrock instead far more appropriate giving the setting.

asking for a friend is it? Gobshite is a very mild term. almost affectionate. what is it that she is trying to convey, or does she merely mean a general sense of that language he might use?

if it's agression and intimidation she's after look no further than cultural icon Roy Keane.

either way we'd need to know roughly what part of the country he is from/operates in. a culchie or a dub etc.

'laddy ahearne' is so ridiculous I like it.

asking for a friend is it? Gobshite is a very mild term. almost affectionate. what is it that she is trying to convey, or does she merely mean a general sense of that language he might use?

either way we'd need to know roughly what part of the country he is from/operates in. a culchie or a dub etc.

'laddy ahearne' is so ridiculous I like it.

Definitely asking for a friend. This sort of thing isn't my style and there is at least one major poster here who I think will back me up.

I think she's setting this thing in the Dublin area, if that helps.

Laddy Ahearne is ridiculous, but I think she is writing this for Americans, so I doubt anyone will notice.

How about the Gaelic of "fields of heather"? Any idea?

Definitely asking for a friend. This sort of thing isn't my style and there is at least one major poster here who I think will back me up.

Laddy Ahearne is ridiculous, but I think she is writing this for Americans, so I doubt anyone will notice.

tell her read any Roddy Doyle novel for a sense of the language used if it's Dublin.

No idea on the Irish front - sure I'm gone nearly 20 year - but someone will be along presently. Matlock will either know or ask himself if nobody else fronts up.

Here's her description:

1. There is lots of heather in Ireland. I would use gort fraoch for field of heather, but I will defer to others with better Irish.

2. Laddy Ahearne is a fucking terrible name for a character imo. Gobshites is probably a reasonable term. Any idea when the book is meant be set?

3. She needs to chance the Wicklows to Wicklow. Coomara doesn't sound great, she might be better just looking up some Irish townlands and finding an authentic one that she likes the sound of.

Pairc an fhraoigh? Gleann an fhraoigh? Plasóg an fhraoigh?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼