Cork u20 Football 2024

Pierce O Neill was with this group. John Hayes was with the mgt team prior. Colm O Neill involved at u21 level prior to that.
Whilst the idea of integrating players from 2010 winning panel is not the worst idea, have these lads cut their teeth in club management prior to gain the necessary experience should be a pre requisite.
Are we identifying the coaches at club level in Cork who have been successful, and putting them on a pathway with development squads with rebel og from 14/15 and getting them concentrating on the fundamentals of the games rather than concentrating on the S & C. The amount of workshops run by Cork concentrating on this aspect rather than fundamental coaching is startling looking at this yr alone. Our fundamentals seriously lack behind Kerry at all levels.
I agree we lack the basic skills . Kerry are so good at the basics players running of the shoulder . But they need to get away from this thing of promoting the managers up each grade every year from rebel og .

You’re talking about 40 years ago there in fairness. The Fachtna’s catchment area now is producing world class athletes in a number of sports. Also back then Rossas were closing in on an all Ireland club title, where are they now? How are we sure it was the school driving the standard and not just being the beneficiary of what was an outstanding football environment at the time.
You’ve made my point for me there, perhaps with realizing it..
Out of the brothers coaching in Fachtna’s came the following Cork players Cahalane’s, Clearys, Maguires & Collin’s of Castlehaven,
Small Mick, 2 Davises, O Donovan, McCarthy & O Driscolls from O Donovan Rossa
Collin’s & O Sullivan Bros Illen Rovers
Some Bantry blues
Pat Hegarty Caheragh and a hatful of other Cork players that I can’t recall now.
I think one year Cork minor team was half made up of players from St Fachtna’s.

And every one of those clubs above were Junior A in the 70s before that brother/priest and I think a local man got going down there in that school. These are simple facts.

You can say the exact same for CCR here in the city.
Both are now gone effectively.

I know I’m pushing on age wise but I’m not for one minute glorifying the past. I just stongly believe for us to get back to winning ways at senior we need to change our player coaching model. Due to the sheer physical and massive numbers I think that development model should be more localized than what it is right now and that we don’t form county panels until the year of minor.
The school system is there ready to be utilized by Cork GAA.
In other counties the schools are the feeder system to county teams.

Out of the brothers coaching in Fachtna’s came the following Cork players Cahalane’s, Clearys, Maguires & Collin’s of Castlehaven,
Some Bantry blues
Pat Hegarty Caheragh and a hatful of other Cork players that I can’t recall now.

And every one of those clubs above were Junior A in the 70s before that brother/priest and I think a local man got going down there in that school. These are simple facts.

I know I’m pushing on age wise but I’m not for one minute glorifying the past. I just stongly believe for us to get back to winning ways at senior we need to change our player coaching model. Due to the sheer physical and massive numbers I think that development model should be more localized than what it is right now and that we don’t form county panels until the year of minor.
In other counties the schools are the feeder system to county teams
Its been a long time ago at this stage, there was an u16 inter divisional competition named the Liam Lyne Cup if I am not Mistaken. Brilliant meaningful championship competition that identified the best players in each division that competed against each other. No coincidence either imo that we got a few munster and an all ireland minor championships when it was played.

Its been a long time ago at this stage, there was an u16 inter divisional competition named the Liam Lyne Cup if I am not Mistaken. Brilliant meaningful championship competition that identified the best players in each division that competed against each other. No coincidence either imo that we got a few munster and an all ireland minor championships when it was played.
That’s all very fine but the bar has been raised a 1000% since then , if Kerry and everybody else have moved on and you haven’t then I don’t need to spell out where you’re left ….

Kerry play an inter divisonal minor championship!!
Liam Lyne a great competition, agreed and so would an inter divisional minor championship if you could find a place for it in the calendar ( not easy) .. but if the suggestion is it should replace development squads when everybody else ( including Kerry ) are working with that model well then ….. but schools are vital and Kerry have 3 / 4 schools that supply the bulk of their players to inter county , easier to integrate that number into development squad system , in Cork many many more ,

Some Bantry blues

In other counties the schools are the feeder system to county teams.
Jeez I’m not sure if I am really, I’m trying to point out that the landscape is totally different now to how it was. Go back then and west cork was all football, schools, clubs etc. Plenty of towns didn’t have secondary schools, there weren’t the community schools you have now and there was a lot less choice. Now you have lads from west cork playing soccer and rugby for Ireland, winning Olympic medals and everything. I don’t think you’ll ever have a situation again where schools in this county will be focussed on Gaelic Football to the near exclusion of anything else the way you’d find in counties where there is overwhelmingly one sporting code.

I’d focus on what we have in Cork and how are we going to make that work. From ccc1 on clubs have boys and girls for 2-3 hours a week for 8-9 months of the year same as clubs in Dublin, Mayo, Derry, Clare and everywhere else. Are we achieving all that can be achieved in that time? Are we getting appropriate competitive games for kids where they get the touches and coaching they need to improve? Are we all singing off the same hymn sheet? Derry are a great example of how you can get your house in order very quickly. Schools are strong for sure, but the clubs are outstanding and you have one totem figure in Phillip Kerr whose DNA is all over everything they do.

Don’t get me wrong I’m certainly not saying that schools aren’t part of the solution. Anywhere the games are played is part of the solution, be it clubs, schools, camps, greens in front of housing estates even. I just don’t think we can transplant what works very well in smaller counties with far fewer schools and that are overwhelmingly one sport focussed will work in Cork, and we might be better off learning from other counties.

Its bad enough to lose to Kerry once in each age group...we have now lost to them 2 times at u20 this year, once at Minor and that might go to 2 as well...once at Senior and if they were to meet again you would not bet we would bt them...when is Cork football ever going to grow a pair....
We'd probably give them a fright in hurling, but if Luke Crowley plays, we'd struggle at that too.

A Seymour doing a great job with CSN Simcox winners and also won senior b in Hurling yet as i said before the championship no one from either Bishopstown or Ballinora on the team
From that Simcox final, there is only one from Clonakilty CC on the panel, and that's the extended panel.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Music Network Presents Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Darts

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼