Cork Minor Hurling 2024

Yes, I've heard about it but what is the actual plan
"More coaches on the ground"??

I have seen no plan about further developing the few top level schools as it is? What's another coach going to do for St Colmans or the Mon. Both schools have a right good calibre of coaches already.

I just want to know, what is the plan or what does a plan look like in your eyes?
Hiya. If you are involved in the GAA Pop down to your club there and find out about the new GDA appointed to your club last month!
All of this has been discussed in huge detail on the Cork hurling forum so I’m not going to rehash it here now on this forum.

I’ve heard that the Celtic challenge is losing its gloss. In some regions the best of the rest outside the minor panel didn’t even go to the Celtic challenge trials. What’s wrong there?
This is interesting and similar to what I saw. I was working down by Pairc Ui Chaoimh on the last Bank Holiday Monday, there was a Celtic Challenge game on, East v City (caught last 10 min of 1st half and all 2nd half), the standard was well below what you'd expect from what should be near enough to minor intercounty standard. A lot of the players were struggling to puck the ball more than 40 meters and the goals were flying in, it was something like an U14 game. The only real stand out players were the full forward (white helmet, big strong young fellah) playing for the white team and the centre back. From speaking to a parent down there, I gather they filled in an application from for the players to go for a trial, I don't think the clubs put players forward (this is what I was told which seems strange).

I can see why players and their parents don't what to play for glorified made up divisional like sides. Elite or near elite youngsters have enough commitments playing club and Munster colleges hurling and football than playing Celtic Challenge.

I don’t know who you are but you know much about Cork hurling with that take.
Cork schools hurling collapsed 20 years ago and hasn’t recovered.
The previous administration of Cork GAA totally lost touch with reality and slowly ran it into the ground from the late 70s onwards The seeds for the senior All Irelands won in the 70s, 80s & in 1990 were sown in the 60s and 70s.
Cork County Board never did anything at schools level to promote the game, at least not during my time. Cork feasted off the dedicated and knowledgeable trainers who were brothers and priests. It is no coincidence that Cork GAA has declined at the same rate as the Brothers and Priests declined at second level education. Ask any serious hurler or footballer from the 90's or before who was their biggest influence and you can be sure who they'd mention.

This is interesting and similar to what I saw. I was working down by Pairc Ui Chaoimh on the last Bank Holiday Monday, there was a Celtic Challenge game on, East v City (caught last 10 min of 1st half and all 2nd half), the standard was well below what you'd expect from what should be near enough to minor intercounty standard. A lot of the players were struggling to puck the ball more than 40 meters and the goals were flying in, it was something like an U14 game. The only real stand out players were the full forward (white helmet, big strong young fellah) playing for the white team and the centre back. From speaking to a parent down there, I gather they filled in an application from for the players to go for a trial, I don't think the clubs put players forward (this is what I was told which seems strange).

I can see why players and their parents don't what to play for glorified made up divisional like sides. Elite or near elite youngsters have enough commitments playing club and Munster colleges hurling and football than playing Celtic Challenge.
That’s crazy that all you have to do is fill an application form to get a trial. I thought the club would nominate players like normal

In in
That’s crazy that all you have to do is fill an application form to get a trial. I thought the club would nominate players like normal
In the case of our local club, players were nominated by the coach from the previous year. In fairness it seemed to be the best way. Same coach would be very balanced and genuine in his picks.

Yeah, my (city) club nominated too. Might depend on the district. Even if people self nominated they'd get flushed out anyway at the trials if not up to it. City already pared back to the 25 or whatever so I'm told.

Trials for Celtic challenge were addressed to parents as an open invitation. The clubs were not asked to nominate a number of players but perhaps some who would be used to the traditional model did.
Nothing wrong with an open invitation. But as I posted a couple of days ago I believe a lot of the top talent didn’t go to the trials.

Trials for Celtic challenge were addressed to parents as an open invitation. The clubs were not asked to nominate a number of players but perhaps some who would be used to the traditional model did.
Nothing wrong with an open invitation. But as I posted a couple of days ago I believe a lot of the top talent didn’t go to the trials.
Don't think that last line is correct in the city district, but might be in the county districts, I don't know

Don't think that last line is correct in the city district, but might be in the county districts, I don't know
He's not correct. All the best players are still involved. They only had to go to one trial & were put through. The later trials were to fill the last few spots and didn't include the better players.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Eoin Jordan & Stan Notte
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

11th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼