Cork Hurlers - Part 2

The lad not on the pitch is always the answer. Looks like Cunningham is our new saviour. The teams we put out had the capability to win both those games. Anyone here who thinks we have a better hand than we showed against Clare is clueless.

I never said Cunningham was the saviour. Nor do I think we have a better hand currently then what we had v Clare.

I'm saying the championship is as good as done for us now and maybe we should start our rebuild sooner rather then later.

You're correct that the teams put out in both championship games had the capability to win both games. But they didn't. The team picked V Clare was a far more balanced and superior outfit to the team picked v Waterford. 6 changes in the space of a week. Why was that? Is it that after 2 years in the job Pat still doesn't have a handle on what his best 15 are?

I'm not being a smartass BBAWS, you clearly know your hurling, what do you think Pat Ryan should do or can do to see Cork improve over the coming 2 games?

CC you have it in for PR on a personal basis as your comments post Waterford game so clearly exposed.
No surprise then that the accusation that he's treating players unfairly, made by a half cute dude from Clare, is something you're bound to agree with.
As regards what the Clare fella posted I agree that we should persist with hard working players and give them time to get up to intercounty standard. Roche and Tommy O Connell situations are odd in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hey Instabroke, thats fair. However, Roche looked fine in the Offaly league game.

I wonder where Roches head and confidence is at now. Really good first year last year, efectively dropped this year

And thats it, we are basing everything off of what we have seen. We have seen what 4/5 hours since January. The management are picking their team based on many hundreds of hours. The management are picking what they believe is their best team based on what they have seen.

Roche, he seemed to be someone that we all hoped would really push on this year for whatever reason he either hasn't or hasn't been given the chance. TOC is one that has really pushed on, but he had a poor game against Waterford and IMO was harshly (all considered) dropped for Clare. We aren't privy to whats going, some players have of course left the panel and while that smacks of poor man management there are so many other factors to consider. You are 22/23 years old you have to quite literally put your whole life on hold and be prepared to train 6 times a week. Doing all of the above still does not guarantee you a spot on the team. Leaving the panel might be seen as heresy or an absolute hammer blow, but for some lads (and without questioning their commitment ) isn't as difficult a decision as some might think.

I never said Cunningham was the saviour. Nor do I think we have a better hand currently then what we had v Clare.

I'm saying the championship is as good as done for us now and maybe we should start our rebuild sooner rather then later.

You're correct that the teams put out in both championship games had the capability to win both games. But they didn't. The team picked V Clare was a far more balanced and superior outfit to the team picked v Waterford. 6 changes in the space of a week. Why was that? Is it that after 2 years in the job Pat still doesn't have a handle on what his best 15 are?

I'm not being a smartass BBAWS, you clearly know your hurling, what do you think Pat Ryan should do or can do to see Cork improve over the coming 2 games?
I wouldn't be throwing in the towel just yet, If (a big if I know) we beat Limerick and Tipp beat Waterford this championship is very much wide open for the 3rd spot, we have Tipp the following week and Waterford will have to beat either Limerick or Clare.

Are the odds stacked against Cork? Absolutely but It's not impossible for Cork to finish on 4 points and Waterford and Tipp to finish on 2.

I think if we've learned one thing from the Munster championship round robin series it isn't over until it's mathematically impossible to progress.

Limerick have 2 wins in the bag and will know they are practically safe, if this team can show a similar performance to last week with tighter marking and keep all 15 on the pitch I think they have a chance.

Ve
I wouldn't be throwing in the towel just yet, If (a big if I know) we beat Limerick and Tipp beat Waterford this championship is very much wide open for the 3rd spot, we have Tipp the following week and Waterford will have to beat either Limerick or Clare.

Are the odds stacked against Cork? Absolutely but It's not impossible for Cork to finish on 4 points and Waterford and Tipp to finish on 2.

I think if we've learned one thing from the Munster championship round robin series it isn't over until it's mathematically impossible to progress.

Limerick have 2 wins in the bag and will know they are practically safe, if this team can show a similar performance to last week with tighter marking and keep all 15 on the pitch I think they have a chance.
Very True Crusty. It’s not impossible but highly unlikely at the same time, based on what we’ve seen in 2024 so far.
The thing that’s so depressing for me is that we’ve got to the stage that are talking about probably not even making 3rd place in Munster. Like, that’s real bottom of the barrel stuff for Cork, formerly the Hurling superpower. I know that’s long in the past now but still.

Our biggest challenge is our inability to produce a successful puck out strategy allied to a more consistent ball winning capability. If we could fix that, I think we would be in a far better place and it would give us a serious platform that we currently do not have. Surely this should be the number 1 issue tackled at training sessions.

First off, I wasn’t taking a dig at you. Was being generalist as there’s been a lot of talk about Cunningham here but the ship has sailed for 2024. He needs to go now and have a stormer of a club championship and leave management with no choice next time around.

For the next game I think Pat should work on game management towards the last 20 mins. The team that started last day out would be fine again. You can make a case for some positional changes or maybe swapping one or 2 in. But overall the team should be similar. If taking a punt I would go with introducing ROF from the start. Was bad last week but those minutes will stand to him.

Biggest thing for me is we look at our shape and strengths of our lines that started last day out, and ask how we finish with that. So in the FB line I would have GM and ER as cover, HB Damien, MF TOC and BR, HF Twomey and you could even deploy TOC and BR here if needed. Plenty of options on the inside.

Ours subs should slot in seamlessly and bring energy which hasn’t been happening.

If I was being really bold I would play a MF trip of TOC, Joyce and E Twomey. Push Fitz CF and flanked by DD and SH. SB would lose out E Roche would play FB. E Downey at 6.

I’ll bring back our golden years when they give me a chance boi!

Fellas now accused of being out personally to get Pat Ryan for having criticism of or questioning Pat Ryan.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Not only did Kingston and Meyler get criticised they also suffered abuse here, on Twitter/X, Facebook and so on.
People said give Pat Ryan the benefit of the doubt last year given his record so people said ok. We've won one game in 6 championship games now it's simply not good enough.
People asked what the bar is, the bar is winning a Munster Final or getting to an All -Ireland Semi Final or Final. Munster Title is impossible and All Ireland series is unlikely but not impossible.. (still have hope)
Both Kingston and Meyler guided us to Munster titles and in Meylers case an All Ireland Semi and Kingstons case a final.
That is the standard Pat Ryan should be held account for especially seeing as he guided the 20's to Titles and had success at club.
Pat Ryan is making tactical and positional errors, (some of the same Meyler and Kingston made) do players have an off game absolutely and they can changed out for someone in better form, but there's no excusing tactical and positional errors. Pat went with changes we welcomed but you could see some lads were bolloxed and didn't have the legs come 40 mins. They needed to be pulled there and then. Some of subs when made were too late or the wrong change in my opinion, criminal Tommy O Connell did not come on.
Pat Ryan might be a great coach/selector but as of now he's just not up to it as Senior Manager.
If we get to All - Ireland final I will apologise and eat my words.

But it's time we stopped excusing Management as a lot of players died in their boots Sunday and we could not expect anymore of them.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

27th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼