Cork Hurlers - Part 2

"Let’s rewind a few posts"...

He had no problem saying that to Ger, Tommy, Conor and Sean. Lets hope he has a bit of balls and has that conversation with hoggie. If Coleman and Robbie havent sharpened up during the last two weeks I wouldn't start them but if they have I would risk them because they have always performed when fit and firing, hoggie on the other hand...
You are still missing the point, you did select them to start at the expense of some one that has actually performed in the last game we played and who is also not good enough to be a fourth sub on :rolleyes:
As for Coleman and ROF always performing win fit and firing? Every player performs when they are fit and firing. Hoggy is fit and firing as he showed against Clare but that isn't even good enough to be a fourth sub against Limerick

Agreed but I do wonder if he has 70 mins in him, its a difficult one, because he stitched that 21yd free the last day, but he couldn't chase down the spare Clare defender in the last few minutes like Connolly did to win a sideline turnover for instance, his minutes needs to be managed
A fair point for sure, but in a team with a lot of young lads who haven’t won anything at this level his leadership is still hugely important. He absolutely shouldn’t be as important as he is at this age but playing in his best position between the 21 and 45 he caused Clare no end of trouble the last day.

I can understand why people would and wouldn’t want to start him. Just based on the superb performance the last day he deserves to start without question. He played really well in just 1 match last year also.
A darling of the passing fans especially, his contribution overall hasn’t been great outside of freetaking for a long time.
He has as many off days as on days now. The Waterford game the most recent example and PR got slaughtered afterwards for selecting him & Lehane.
As far back as 5 years ago people were saying PH was responsible for a lot of Corks woes in attack and his low work rate. In my book he has to start on Saturday night based on form. However contrary to that I wouldn’t have started him & some others against Waterford or Clare and I think we would have at least 2 points now possibly 4 if that was done.

Last edited:
Sorry, just to clarify - are you saying the fringes if Cork underage panels are or are not filled with lads who aren't good enough but who are not willing to give up?

Also, you mention the Celtic Challenge - I think that's a great tournament but are there many examples (from any county) of players making an impact there and subsequently breaking onto the county U20 team?
[/QUOTE]

the opposite, read it again. Every single player that makes a cork panel is talented because of the numbers.
the finges of panels are not filled out with lads being brought along

if you picked the best 5 or 6 in cork you could probably have very different sides picked by different managers and still be really competitive.

If you get preparation wrong in Clare you go over the edge very quickly

ie Clare minors 2019 were extremely good but 20 and 21 didn't go so well with a 50 point aggregate defeat yet three years later the same players took cork to the wire in two great matchs.

Cusack has a fair point about the defensive work rate in that particular piece of play though his opinion on the game to me is made redundant by his not accepting that the puck outs lost were a key contributory cause to the losing of the game
were they misdirected or hit where they were supposed to go but lads didnt get there?
Mcinerney seemed to know where the ball was going all th time and was unchallenged

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

25th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

DJ Rostah

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼