Cork Hurlers - Part 2

That's amazingly consistent 🫣
But that's a small sample size and you created an arbitrary cut-off to exclude the Waterford game last year where we conceded just 18 points.

Also it would be useful to see how it compares to other teams and their records.

Given that we drew 1, and lost the rest by no more than 3 points, suggests that the defences that we encountered also had their own issues.
It’s not arbitrary though because it’s a run of games we didn’t win. Saying we only conceded 0-18 in a game we won sort of proves the point that we can’t win a game if we continue to cough up a consistent 32 points.

Regarding the scores Cork are putting on teams then absolutely that’s something to be very optimistic about but we’ve been getting a lot of very late goals as we frantically chase down games where we’ve conceded big scores. I’m sure we’d rather be in a situation where we’re the hunter rather than the hunted and clipping over points at that stage of the game. It looks to me like the stronger teams know they’re getting a shoot-out off Cork and are confident enough they’ll have enough when all the sums are done.

Yup Waterford win and we need to win both our games and hope Clare end up on 4 pts as well as we'd lose head to head v Waterford
Or that Waterford win in Limerick in which case, hilariously, Limerick would go out to us on head to head. Suffice it to say though that you'd prefer an ever so slightly better plan A than this particular plan B!

The red card wasn’t what killed us.

If you take out the minute or two where James Owen’s left Timmy on the ground for dead, we actually won the time that we were down to 14.

So where we actually lost the game was, the poor string of puckouts in the 3rd quarter by Pa, but mainly those 2 minutes that James Owen’s let play where clare picked off 1-1, which is twice the margin that was in it in the end.

I don’t care about the red card, it was the correct decision, but those two minutes were exactly why cork lost and why everyone should’ve been livid with James Owen’s.

Cork were the better team on the day.

The red card wasn’t what killed us.

If you take out the minute or two where James Owen’s left Timmy on the ground for dead, we actually won the time that we were down to 14.

So where we actually lost the game was, the poor string of puckouts in the 3rd quarter by Pa, but mainly those 2 minutes that James Owen’s let play where clare picked off 1-1, which is twice the margin that was in it in the end.

I don’t care about the red card, it was the correct decision, but those two minutes were exactly why cork lost and why everyone should’ve been livid with James Owen’s.

Cork were the better team on the day.
But Cork are well aware of the new injury rules that came into effect at the end of March that's on them, not Owens.

And people need to also shut up about how Pa Collins pucked the ball out with Tim on the ground.

If he had refused to puck it out, Owen’s would’ve ran in took the ball off him and thrown it in on the 21 for a 50/50, whilst Tim would still be on the ground.

The only person to blame for that cock up is James Owen’s

A few observations from yesterday and I guess, from this year to date.

We still concede huge scores and have not improved our structure defensively. This isn't just a problem under Ryan, it goes back to 2013 and seems to be something we refuse to take a firm grasp of. We can outgun most teams under the right conditions, but not when we are so open. Clare had acres yesterday behind our half back line, even before the sending off. Fundamentally, if you concede 30+ every week, you're making life incredibly difficult for yourself. We were wide open after the sending off, the goals Clare scored then were on the cards ages to all in the stadium, with the half backs trotting back to help their overworked and isolated full back team mates. Until we can successfully nullify opposition attacking threat and defend danger as a solid unit, we're not going to win a championship over the course of 6 or 7 score-fests, it's a recipe for failure.

The sending off had a massive impact on the game but it's arguably one of the few calls Owens was actually right about on the day. He was awful throughout but we played into his hands and lack that cuteness that the likes of Duggan and Cleary had. Both of those lads could have been done for GBH at various stages but didn't get caught in the act, more power to them for it. High tackles, lazy hands on backs, a ref who loves the spotlight is only too glad to take such gifts.

Puckouts - Collins was simply not good enough yesterday, but this has been his form all through the league and a worry for most Cork supporters. Clare were gifted possession far too often, particularly at a key stage of the second half when we had stretched the lead. It's not that he didn't have runners, he did, but the balls were way off target on multiple occasions. At this level, restarts are crucial, we're falling way short here.

The biggest and glaring thing for me is that we don't know our best 15 over a year and a half into this management groups tenure. Ryan and co. need to start finding this soon if they are going to build a championship winning unit. It's been clear for some time we need to bed in youth and give them opportunities to learn. We're very close but those last few percent are the hard ones to find and bank. Patience is something we're all probably lacking here after a 20 year drought, I was fit to explode walking out of the south stand yesterday. But we must be realistic and know it will take us time to get there and the timeline can't be defined. Worryingly, we have numerous examples of young players with potential who get half a chance or are thrown in at the deep end. They won't be a 9/10 every day but they might get there given the chance to learn on the job, I fear we've lost a year or two for some of those players already. How Brian Roche hasn't been developed from last year is criminal. His brother had a solid league as well and has plenty to offer. Tommy O'Connell, arguably most consistent player throughout the league, now considered an unused sub yesterday? They made a lot of changes from last week and a number of them paid off in comparison to last week perhaps, but we can't keep going into Munster each year not knowing what our best team is.
Unfortunately our subs didn't make much of an impact yesterday, I thought last Thursday that our bench was top heavy with a lot of similar type forwards and no game changers outside of a half fit O'Flynn and Kingston, both only returning from injury. We didn't carry enough defenders to switch things up and paid for it dearly when you saw how Luke Meade got incinerated by Fitzgerald for the nail in the coffin goal.

Despite all the doom and gloom and the stark likelihood that our year is done again on the 19th May, there's still a hell of a lot to be positive and confident about for the future (yeah, that again). Connolly, if we can feed him with enough ball, is as good a forward as there is in the country. Eoin Downey, Ciarán Joyce and others have plenty upside yet.
We have to continue to battle for what has the makings of a bright future if everyone has the stomach for the fight. We're very close, but we need to learn to be ruthless if we're going to be winners in the years ahead. There's more ahead of us than behind us. Keep the faith Rebels.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival : I Draw Slow

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼