Cork Hurlers - Part 2

If the player needs to come off the field it's a serious injury.

4090498_4_articlesmall_EOHCorkSenior23.jpg

O'Mahony had a facial injury from a collision. He required treatment on the field and he needed help to be taken off the field of play. From where I was standing he looked very unsteady on his feet.

Owens ignored the injured player receiving treatment and let Clare score 1-01 with Cork down to 13.

Pat Ryan mentioned it in the post match interview and imo had every right to feel aggrieved.

If the player needs to come off the field it's a serious injury. The ref should assess that. If he doesn't want to come off the game recommences
That’s after the event…
Take a step back for a minute and a deep breath.. put down the Cork jersey now for a sec.
What serious injury did you see Timmy get on the field of play?
You are so strong in your view that play should have been stopped please just tell us what that serious injury that you saw is?

I hate this crap of people not knowing the rules and bashing referees

Lads on here would argue about the day of the week.
Management record is very poor and this looks like being there last year. On Like Meade, he was brought on to play in tight spaces and he is usually fairly good at this, running is not his strong point and maybe should be his last involvement with Cork. We keep going back to these lads and it’s maddening. When Dalton came off surely Twomey would have been called on. At least he’s an option for puck outs. Very disappointed with the ball again into the FF line. BH is 6’4 but can’t remember him contesting one ball in the air. Mark Coleman was terrible also when he came on, you would think he plays with a calm head but he was pathetic is an he didn’t do.
Do we have any chance against Limerick? Will they drop Collins for a goalie who had one game prior and played poorly. Does Eoin Roche deserve a shot at game time and his brother. Why he hasn’t played is beyond me, said it before but was very good last season.

Ok here goes

As I said earlier, overall I was happy with our workrate and drive but we still lack that cohesiveness that Clare and other teams have, we simply have no structured game plan and no idea of our starting 15 and who are best used as impact subs. This is criminal given that this is year 2 for the management. Us losing today is not going to cost us a place in the All Ireland series but us losing last week will. That was the must win game and we never looked likely to win it. It will come back to bite us soon

My thoughts on individuals

I thought Patrick Collins was poor today, his puckouts are gone to pot but his shot stopping is just as bad. If we had a viable alternative he would be dropped but the selectors have placed themselves in a bad position by only giving Brion Saunderson one league game. It would be a very brave decision to drop Pa now

Niall O Leary had a fine game and justified his inclusion but just does the stupidest of things at times. One ball came head height to him right in front of me in the north stand, he had a yard on his man and he batted the fucking thing to the ground.

Eoin Downey is one plucky young fella, had a torrid time trying to keep a handle on the Clare inside fowards but he stuck at it and looked assured. He should never have been dropped for the Waterford game

Sean O Donoghue had a good game, he was attacking the ball and looked in control but the sending off was a moment of madness from him. He’ll be regretting it for a long time

Tim O Mahony had his hands full on Peter Duggan but he gave as good as he got on a player who is in top form. However he would want to be coached on how to bat a ball, he’s going to connect with someone with his one handed overhead pull and he’ll be gone

Joyce was back to his best today, was dominant in the air and made some huge surging runs up the pitch. A real leader

Rob Downey had a fine game on Davy Fitzgerald but after the sending off he let Fitzgerald on a loose reign and he caused wreck. I would have thought our wing backs would have been better suited swooping wings though

Ethan Twomey made his first starting appearance today and he was very assured and linked the play well. He was missed badly when he went off and needs to be left there now to develop

Darragh Fitz was Darragh Fitz, made some fantastic surges foward and scored some spectacular points but he totally abdicates his primary duty as a midfielder, will we ever just put him in at 11 and leave him there?

Deccie Dalton was in front of me in the first half, he looked sluggish but the amount of work the man puts in is unreal, and he hit some great ball inside as well as scoring some boomers from play and frees. We collapsed when he had to go off

Shane Barrett had a fine game again, he is growing by the game, a great linkman and a great work ethic, he let himself down with the goal chance which he should have passed to Connolly but that’s nit picking

Seamus Harnedy is a warrior, he never stops fighting for ball and trying to do the right thing with it, but sadly the legs are gone, he was a beaten docket in the second half. Will we learn the lesson and bring him on for the last half hour? I doubt we will

Brian Hayes had some good moments in a two man full foward line with Connolly but he just didn’t have enough impact on the game. Definitely has a better impact coming on

Alan Connolly is simply devastating, if we would only design a plan to isolate him inside and get the bloody ball into him fast, it can’t be that difficult to do surely?

Patrick Horgan was better utilised today by allowing him drift between the 21 and 45, he was much more effective and the goal from play was just pure magic, pure Hoggy. But he just doesn’t have the legs to be tracking and chasing fellas. There’s a huge call to be made to start him or bring him on

Damien Cahalane was typical Damien, robust and aggressive when introduced wing back, I always felt this was his best position at inter county, maybe now with Downey doing so well at 3 he might be an option

Luke Meade was a strange change for me, he just doesn’t have the physicality for this level, I would have thought Tommy O Connell would have been a better option

Mark Coleman done well when introduced at midfield but we just lacked a physical presence with Mark and Luke there. Definitely an option going foward

Robbie O Flynn was sluggish when brought in, this guy could completely change our fortunes if he can find his sharpness before it’s too late for us

Shane Kingston was Shane, won a few balls and scored but he never looked like creating any goal scoring opportunity. But he scares the life out of defenders and that opens spaces for others. Good option off the bench

We can't win a puc out and some questionable refereeing decisions (I thought Clare deserved a black card for that foul on Hoggie and the second yellow was hardly iron clad- stupid by SOD but at the same time Limerick wouldn't have seen a second yellow in similar circumstances).

Tim couldn't handle Peter Duggan, but then I don't think any of our lads could have done better against him.

Even with 14, the lack of impact off our bench was terrifying. Robbie was poor, Coleman was anonymous, Luke Meade was slow as treacle tracking one of the Clare goals.

I think today's result just highlights how costly last week was. If we win one of the remaining matches and then crash out, we will rue the Waterford result more than today.

Hoggie and NOL performed for the full 75 minutes. A lot of lads (DD, AC, SB, ET, SH) played well until they were subbed or until the red card.

Barring giving Saunderson a go against Limerick, I wouldn't make too many changes. Not sure if Brian Roche is injured, but we could really do with his energy in midfield. Otherwise, I'd throw TOC in ahead of DF. I feel like Fitzy needs to either start half forward or come on later on in midfield or half forward. I'd lean towards the latter because we need some impact off the bench against Limerick.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cardinals
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

26th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny

The Roundy, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼