Cork allstar football team 63-13 PICK 2 CORNER FORWARDS

Who goes in the corners?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was tough but i went for Donnacha O'Connor and (weshtys going to go mental here!) Paul McGrath.There's only 1 Paul McGrath as far as im concerned!He was one classy and underrated footballer.I voted for Donnacha because of his effort and commitment to the Cork cause and the way he overcame his confidence issues (we were all baying for his blood after that Kerry replay in the pairc!) to produce those performances against Dublin and Down in our all ireland winning year.He also came off the bench for extra time against Limerick in the gaelic grounds and he scored 2 crucial points.1 from play and 1 from a free.He came off the bench against Roscommon and scored three points.His displays against Kerry in the 07 munster final and against Meath in the semi final that same year will also live long in the memory.

I have thought about this one, and I'm going for Goulding ahead of JBM. Only saw the tail end of JBM's footballing career which would be no more than 2 or 3 games in total so I never really saw him at his best.

Goulding has been around since 2007 and has produced it on the biggest stage. If another player from another county scored 9 points in an All-Ireland Football Final he'd still be receiving the personal accolades today. Goulding's performance against Down barely gets a mention and is excused away on the basis that many of the points came from placed balls. As if knocking over 45's in front of 82,000 is supposed to be routine or something.

My other choice is Dinny Allen.

Looking like Dinny Allen plus one.

If Donncha or Goulding doesn't make it that will leave Shields as the only representative of the current team and himself and Lynch as the only fellas on the team who have kicked a ball for Cork in the last 10 years.

The lads who were pissing and moaning that the process was biased towards modern players can leave the apologies here. Kthanxbai.

If Donncha or Goulding doesn't make it that will leave Shields as the only representative of the current team and himself and Lynch as the only fellas on the team who have kicked a ball for Cork in the last 10 years.

Indeed. There was always going to be a delicate balancing act between appreciating the modern player in the here-and-now and eulogising the former great from a by-gone era.

Be interesting to run a similar poll in 10 years time.

I went with JBM and Cleary - but maybe we're romanticizing the past.

We're prone to it like.

As an example it was only looking back at Dave Barry I realised how good he was - at the time I always thought he could do with losing a few pounds and could have been a bit more polished (barry the fat useless oaf). and Now I'm thinking he had exactly that balance of skill, desire and agression you need in a wing forward (Barry the maestro).

It doesn't suprise me that there's only 1 player from the last 10 years on the team. IMO,far too many of that generation and the preceeding one went missing on the big days in Croker.

I think one of the reasons for Cork footballers tragically small following is the dearth of good performances in Croke Park from 1995 - '09. I couldn't count the number of times, I walked down the Clonliffe Rd cursing the footballers for throwing in the towel 5 min's into the game.

This team is rightly predominantly populated with players from the great '87 - '93 era. They might have lost a few AI's in those years, but they went down fighting like the warriors that they were.

Even the succesful team in '10, were beat by Kerry in that years championship. They were subsequently fortunate that Down removed the animals from the equation.

It doesn't suprise me that there's only 1 player from the last 10 years on the team. IMO,far too many of that generation and the preceeding one went missing on the big days in Croker.

I think one of the reasons for Cork footballers tragically small following is the dearth of good performances in Croke Park from 1995 - '09. I couldn't count the number of times, I walked down the Clonliffe Rd cursing the footballers for throwing in the towel 5 min's into the game.

This team is rightly predominantly populated with players from the great '87 - '93 era. They might have lost a few AI's in those years, but they went down fighting like the warriors that they were.

Even the succesful team in '10, were beat by Kerry in that years championship. They were subsequently fortunate that Down removed the animals from the equation.

Bit unfair on the current team.

The 87-93 team were thumped by Meath in 87, blew a winning position in 88 before losing to 14 men in a replay. The argument you made about the current team winning in 2010 after Down beat Kerry could easily be made about the 89 team when Dublin took Meath out. Granted they silenced a lot of their critics in 1990 but followed that up by losing 2 years in a row to a shite Kerry team that couldn't even beat Clare and phoning in an All-Ireland final performance against a Derry team that never did anything significant again. Hardly heroic, warrior-like defeats IMHO.

The only thing that sets them apart from the current team is 1990. I still have belief that this team will win another, although perhaps not this year.

Every brickbat that has been thrown at this Cork football team was thrown at that one as well, and for the same reasons. You could argue that from the period 86 to 95 with Kerry and Dublin in the doldrums that 2 all Ireland's was a slightly disappointing return for a team of their ability. Personally I think all Ireland's are hard to win and we should cherish the ones we do win but I don't think the current players have necessarily underachieved a whole lot more than the 87-93 crew.

The passing of time heals a lot of ills and as much as the current Cork team are derided people will badly miss them when they are gone and the same fellas who criticise them now will go misty-eyed thinking about them.

I just think its a bit early to judge some of them. Walsh, Sheehan and O'neill will probably make the team in a few years time.

In fact, I think Walsh is already far superior to Teddy Mac.

Cadogan might be pushing for a place too.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

6th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼