Busy week for the Irish soccer team

Away to the Slovaks and the Checkers. 2 tough games. I wouldn't have given us a hope of getting anything out of either of them just after the San Marino game, but we've put in 2 good performances in qualifying since and i feel the team will be on a high after the friendly result against Denmark a couple of weeks ago.

I think a minimum of 4 points will be needed if qualification is to remain a posssibility, but it's posssible we could get nothing. Ideally, we beat the czechs as they're our biggest threat and their team is weaker than it has been over the last 6 or 8 years, still a tall order, though. the slovaks are a poor enough team, but on their day, I think they could beat alot of teams. They're technically good and very good passers. Lack a cutting edge in the middle of the park and up front though. The right winger was tasty enough at Lansdowne and will need to be stopped...if we can do that and concentrate at the back, we should have enough.

Realistically, 6 points is needed. The result against Denmark will certainly have lifted spirits in the Irish camp, however the dodgy performance of the danish keeper must be taken into account. 4-0 victory or not, we all know that Irish teams always make life hard for themselves and this team has underperformed on to many occasions to make me feel confident about any Euro qualification. How many of the squad have started their seasons with good performances and form? Dunne in fairness has played well, Robbie Keane might get a mention also but other than that, the squad is wallowing in mediocrity... I hate to say it but i don't see us having any chance for qualification

Heading over myself to Bratislava for Slovak game in hope rather than confidence!!! Stan knows his keeperand back 4 but he is struggling to pick his midfield!! I reckon he'll go with Carsley in the middle. Then the other 3 positions are between Andy Reid, Mcgeady,Kilbane (hope not), Ireland, Potter,Hunt. possibly missing someone. Then he has Doyle and Keane up front. Hopefully he will go for the win and play 2 up front in each game instead of 5 in midfield!! Robbie can't play up there on is own!!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

THE TAN JACKETS

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11:50pm

More events ▼