2019 Junior football championship

I think more counties will make their senior championship smaller. Not sure I agree-I think you need 16 teams really to have a good championship, we have the two college teams and eight divisions. What we should do in the future is to put the second senior winners into Munster ifc and the county pifc winners into Munster jfc. Would probably need to rename them but so what-the names are meaningless.

The major issue with the Junior A Championships in Cork is the total imbalance there is between divisions. Take Carbery where you might need to win 5 games just to get out of the division. Then another 3/4 to get to a county final. Then look at Beara and Duhallow where you need to play 1 to 3 games respectively to win your division. And lets be honest bar the top Junior clubs in all divisions the rest of the clubs are only really making up the numbers, quality wise.

Its actually about time a proposed County Junior A Championship was introduced with the 16 best teams from the divisions battling for the County. Those clubs once that championship is over could go back snd play their divisional championships then.

That might redress the quality issue, with the best Junior teams playing each other every year and not the odd occasion when they might get ambushed in their division

The supposed Home of Gaelic Football and they can only produce 8 senior clubs, I don’t believe it for a minute

Think it's their grading system that does that.
The same system that has a Division 1 Kerry football team 'Na Gael' representing the county in the Junior National Championship.
Don't ask me how they do it, but I presume their system could be replicated
in Cork if there was the will to do it.

Think it's their grading system that does that.
The same system that has a Division 1 Kerry football team 'Na Gael' representing the county in the Junior National Championship.
Don't ask me how they do it, but I presume their system could be replicated
in Cork if there was the will to do it.

Why would we want to replicate Kerrys system Cork deal with huge numbers of clubs to be fair and I know it gives us less of a chance of winning Munsters against Kerry teams but I wonder is it doing Kerry any good if they want to win these championships so bad ..with only 8 senior clubs there Intermediate and Junior champions have to be very strong .
Still it did not stop Knocknagree from winning an All-Ireland and Corks system is working fairly well in the hurling championships !
At the end of the day maybe Corks system gives more clubs the chance to dream about winning Munster and All-Ireland titles.

Why would we want to replicate Kerrys system Cork deal with huge numbers of clubs to be fair and I know it gives us less of a chance of winning Munsters against Kerry teams but I wonder is it doing Kerry any good if they want to win these championships so bad ..with only 8 senior clubs there Intermediate and Junior champions have to be very strong .
Still it did not stop Knocknagree from winning an All-Ireland and Corks system is working fairly well in the hurling championships !
At the end of the day maybe Corks system gives more clubs the chance to dream about winning Munster and All-Ireland titles.

You said it all there............the chance to dream about winning.
Walter Mitty stuff really.

In Cork clubs have tried to remain a particular grade and maintain their “status” even when not up to it

In Kerry it’s the opposite they play the cute card and try to maintain a lower grade as long as possible

Yeah like Fr.O Neills, maybe Russell Rovers and maybe Nemo Rangers are they "Walter Mitty Stuff "

I think you're missing the point sir. Not talking about hurling or senior football. Just the lower football grades.
Yerra they don't bother much with the sticks game in Kerry.;)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Funny Fridays Special

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼