Joey Barton - A gent if ever there was one!

Correct. A scumbag. Hes articulate for sure but no less a scumbag for that.

I wouldn't disagree. He's done some awful stuff.

His argument falls apart with even the smallest scrutiny.

That I don't agree with.

What qualifications are needed to become a pundit?

There's no strict qualification requirement, clearly.

But obviously one route in would be as a respected ex-player and his point is that players who have played the male game at the elite level are better qualified to give expert insight on the male game than their female equivalents.

tbf he also calls out that there are plenty of poor quality male commentators/pundits too.

He favours female commentators/pundits proving their chops covering female games before allowing the cream to rise to the top and for some of those to get a shot at plying their trade in the male game.

How does it harm anyone to have female pundits/presenters?

Some more qualified / able male candidates may lose out on a job opportunity - either at the inteview or pre-interview stage. It's a zero sum game.

And if less able people are in those roles then the listening public get a lower quality product.

Neither are apocalyptical outcomes, but neither are positive either.

Despite actual evidence and research on affirmative action and its benefits why does he rail so hard against it? On what basis does he oppose it?

I think he's made it clear that he opposes it because it's not a meritocracy.

(...whether that's his real view, or only reason, is up for debate of course)

Hes never answered any of those questions. The irony is of course is if were asked any of those questions hed attack the interviewer to distract from the fact he cant answer any of them.

He does offer some rationale to support his views.

Did you listen to the interview?

(...as I said, his persona in the interview was at odds with much of his Twitter bile)

No shit. We live in strange times when stand up comedians have become a source of critical social theory.

Not sure I agree. There's a rich history of comedians commenting on social topics in a way that's both insightful and entertaining - Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor & Bill Hicks among others.

Triggernometry put out some good content and are a good antidote to overly woke content elsewhere. I don't agree with all their views and I'm not a fan of every guest they have on but they at least seem to approach topics with an open mind and are willing to skewer some sacred cows from time to time.

Kisin is Russian and Foster is half-Venezualan, so their backgrounds can influence the way they tackle topics. Kisin was particularly insightful in the early stages of the Ukraine war, for example.

I wouldn't disagree. He's done some awful stuff.

That I don't agree with.

There's no strict qualification requirement, clearly.

But obviously one route in would be as a respected ex-player and his point is that players who have played the male game at the elite level are better qualified to give expert insight on the male game than their female equivalents.

tbf he also calls out that there are plenty of poor quality male commentators/pundits too.

He favours female commentators/pundits proving their chops covering female games before allowing the cream to rise to the top and for some of those to get a shot at plying their trade in the male game.

Some more qualified / able male candidates may lose out on a job opportunity - either at the inteview or pre-interview stage. It's a zero sum game.

And if less able people are in those roles then the listening public get a lower quality product.

Neither are apocalyptical outcomes, but neither are positive either.

I think he's made it clear that he opposes it because it's not a meritocracy.

(...whether that's his real view, or only reason, is up for debate of course)

He does offer some rationale to support his views.

Did you listen to the interview?

(...as I said, his persona in the interview was at odds with much of his Twitter bile)

Not sure I agree. There's a rich history of comedians commenting on social topics in a way that's both insightful and entertaining - Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor & Bill Hicks among others.

Triggernometry put out some good content and are a good antidote to overly woke content elsewhere. I don't agree with all their views and I'm not a fan of every guest they have on but they at least seem to approach topics with an open mind and are willing to skewer some sacred cows from time to time.

Kisin is Russian and Foster is half-Venezualan, so their backgrounds can influence the way they tackle topics. Kisin was particularly insightful in the early stages of the Ukraine war, for example.
Great post, hard to disagree with any of it. The clip when he was ambushed on Piers Morgan just sums up the thinking from women on womens football, they genuinely believe its the same thing.

The same thing here with the lidl advert for the LGFA and them bleating about equality. It has nothing to do with equality, if you have a poor product, people wont go to watch it.

Last edited:
Great post, hard to disagree with any of it. The clip when he was ambushed on Piers Morgan just sums up the thinking from women on womens football, they genuinely believe its the same thing.

The same thing here with the lidl advert for the LPGA and them bleating about equality. It has nothing to do with equality, if you have a poor product, people wont go to watch it.
Until women themselves start supporting it I don't think there's a leg to stand on as regards equality.

My partner has tried most sports out there and still plays competitive GAA and soccer. She timed her Sunday to be home in time to watch the Cork hurlers. Yesterday, when doing nothing on a Bank Holiday Monday, she didn't have a clue or interest that the Cork ladies footballers were playing. She has never been to a competitive female game that wasn't her own club. I doubt she's in the minority, maybe I'm wrong.

Where I have a problem with Barton's view and I know he commented on this, is the male co commentators are putrid too. I find it very hard to complain about Lucy Ward when I might have to listen to Glenn Hoddle, Jermain Jenas or Steve McManaman etc. If they're the best available I don't think the female commentators are really doing someone better out of a job.

Sorry if I offended you. If you want to listen to edgy uneducated comedians for insight into how society works go right ahead. I hear Joe Rogan is wonderful this time of the year.
Offended? Why do you think that? I was laughing at your post hence the emoji.
Perhaps you should watch the video then you wouldnt make moronic comments (I know that might difficult for you after a lifetime of doing it). The comedians are the presenters, asking the questions and not offering their insight of how society works.
Another Roundyfail. 不不不
(emojis mean Im laughing at you, again)

Last edited:
I did watch the video and I was amused by the two lads criticizing the fragile left for being overly sensitive and the promotion of individuals because of their identity rather than their attributes but they feel confident enough to analyze complex social issues and opine on the state of modern football. Like I said you should check out Rogan. You would like him.

I did watch the video and I was amused by the two lads criticizing the fragile left for being overly sensitive and the promotion of individuals because of their identity rather than their attributes but they feel confident enough to analyze complex social issues and opine on the state of modern football. Like I said you should check out Rogan. You would like him.
Yes, I never heard of Joe Rogan, thanks for the tip. Another Roundyfail.
As for the rest of your post, I wouldnt expect anything less than that diatribe you managed to cobble together.
They havent opined on the state of modern football, as I said you clearly didnt watch the video.
不不不

Where I have a problem with Barton's view and I know he commented on this, is the male co commentators are putrid too. I find it very hard to complain about Lucy Ward when I might have to listen to Glenn Hoddle, Jermain Jenas or Steve McManaman etc. If they're the best available I don't think the female commentators are really doing someone better out of a job.
I'd take Lucy Ward over Hoddle, Jenus, McManaman and Hargreaves every time. I think she's fine on co-coms and she's pretty good on the Guardian football podcast too.
The best football experts on TNT Sport are the journalists they have doing UCL goals show, who never even played the game professionally.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin , Coburg St

24th Jun 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼