Joey Barton - A gent if ever there was one!

Sue Smith is leading the way on the soccer saturday fantasy team competition but you have to
factor in Merson and morrison are two of her opponents,

Sue Smith is fit and very knowledgeable regards football

9067a01aac0b4762281e9471c596774a.jpg

I'd take Lucy Ward over Hoddle, Jenus, McManaman and Hargreaves every time. I think she's fine on co-coms and she's pretty good on the Guardian football podcast too.
The best football experts on TNT Sport are the journalists they have doing UCL goals show, who never even played the game professionally.
Tbh I would take an inanimate carbon rod over those 4. :lol!:

I wouldn't disagree. He's done some awful stuff.

That I don't agree with.

There's no strict qualification requirement, clearly.

But obviously one route in would be as a respected ex-player and his point is that players who have played the male game at the elite level are better qualified to give expert insight on the male game than their female equivalents.

tbf he also calls out that there are plenty of poor quality male commentators/pundits too.

He favours female commentators/pundits proving their chops covering female games before allowing the cream to rise to the top and for some of those to get a shot at plying their trade in the male game.

Some more qualified / able male candidates may lose out on a job opportunity - either at the inteview or pre-interview stage. It's a zero sum game.

And if less able people are in those roles then the listening public get a lower quality product.

Neither are apocalyptical outcomes, but neither are positive either.

I think he's made it clear that he opposes it because it's not a meritocracy.

(...whether that's his real view, or only reason, is up for debate of course)

He does offer some rationale to support his views.

Did you listen to the interview?

(...as I said, his persona in the interview was at odds with much of his Twitter bile)

Not sure I agree. There's a rich history of comedians commenting on social topics in a way that's both insightful and entertaining - Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor & Bill Hicks among others.

Triggernometry put out some good content and are a good antidote to overly woke content elsewhere. I don't agree with all their views and I'm not a fan of every guest they have on but they at least seem to approach topics with an open mind and are willing to skewer some sacred cows from time to time.

Kisin is Russian and Foster is half-Venezualan, so their backgrounds can influence the way they tackle topics. Kisin was particularly insightful in the early stages of the Ukraine war, for example.
Take a look at some of the Sky pundits and tell me they’ve played the game at the elite level. Jamie O’Hara, Clinton Morrison, Lee Hendrie, Matt Murray.

For many years Sky more-so than others paraded women out for their tits and arses on Soccer AM. No harm now for the tide to turn. Male ex players have plenty of opportunities to have their opinions heard, Talk Sport is full of expert ex players who had such top careers in the men’s game. IMG_1936.jpeg

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼