The Green Party - how will their policies affect folk

Do you mean that article that I already addressed at the top of this page and you replied to my response :shock:

Don't ever change Stacy :lol:

Your latent confusion is your own issue.

The article fully explained the tender process, costs and advanced condensed works schedule and yet you are still posing the same daft questions.

All over the shop.

State owned. Exactly!
So it's in the best interest of the state for them all to be run well. That is not the case in Ireland. The less traffic through Cork and Shannon, the more flows through Dublin, who used to control Shannon as well but still controls Cork Airport.

DUBLIN (that's not a coincidental name btw) Airport Authority had control of Dublin, Cork, and Shannon airports. Noonan got Shannon airport out from under the control of Dublin AA but Simey couldn't get the same autonomy for Cork Airport.

Ryan Air wanted to use Cork's old terminal and make Cork a hub - Oh no you don't says Dublin becuase while that would have been good for Cork Airport and given all kinds of flights and schedules that would adversely affect dublin airport. Not alone would it have dramatically reduced the number of Cork passengers having to fly to their chosen destination from dublin, it would have given alternatives to people in Munster in general who would now have an option out of Cork. And that would have undermined any justification for the huge expansions in dublin airport.

Cork Airport is Dublin Airport's bitch and will continue to be for as long as DUBLIN Airport Authority calls the shots.

The DAA never ran Shannon Airport.

Before DAA were set up there was an organisation called Aer Rianta, they ran the 3 airports Dumplin, Shannon and Cork.

When the new terminal was built in Cork, the FF Minister at that time promised that Cork airport would be independent and that it would be debt free.
However that did not happen, Cork was indeed saddled with the debt, that made it impossible for it to be an independent entity.

During that time period Aer Rianta was wound up and a separate body was established to over see Dumplin airport.
For whatever reason your old Gods in FF decided to also let the DAA oversee Cork Airport.

Subsequently to that Shannon was given its independence, it was also given an adjoining industrial estate of which it collects rental income.
They are now paying Ryanair to operate flights to Shannon.

If Cork had handed over the old terminal to Ryanair, then the only airline operating there now would be them and they would have Cork by the balls.

That is commercial reality for you Soundy.

I know with what you do, you are not exposed to that sort of stuff.

I think you’re chasing your tail on this one.

Capital projects like this frustratingly take time to follow due process, even in the slickest of private or publicly listed firms, never mind a semi-state with public funding. I think the 12 month turnaround is amazing when you understand how things work, state involvement slows everything down too.

As an example of how public versus private timelines differ, look at how prolonged the public job hiring process is:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process

Most private companies are now working to a plan that involves a screening interview, and then a follow combined tech/management interview.

I would rather a 10 week stint that knocks out the whole job, than a prolonged drawn out series of disruptions. From what has been written recently the airfield is antiquated, looks like it’s more than a re-tarring job.

Better to close it during off peak than over Christmas, it simply wasn’t possible to bring it forward any sooner.

It’s not like those coming home don’t have temporary alternative routes. Dublin airport is 2hr40 up the road.

What disruptions would have taken place compared to the 10 weeks of zero flights in or out? The airport afaik has no flights in or out from Midnight to 6AM. Might even be a longer lay off each night. There was an article recently by an Irishman who is managing a big international airport in the middle-east I think who said he was amazed that the airport was going to close for so long and that they carry out such work by night on a regular basis.

The whole Dublin Airport is 2hr40 up the road is EXACTLY what DAA is relying on. Keep pushing dublin. It'd be interesting to see if DUBLIN Airport Authority ever made Dublin Airport shut down for 10 weeks - shur Cork airport is only 2hr40 down the road. In yer dreams.

What disruptions would have taken place compared to the 10 weeks of zero flights in or out? The airport afaik has no flights in or out from Midnight to 6AM. Might even be a longer lay off each night. There was an article recently by an Irishman who is managing a big international airport in the middle-east I think who said he was amazed that the airport was going to close for so long and that they carry out such work by night on a regular basis.

I knew full well that you did not even read or understand the article:

Irish Examiner:“In fact, the alternative was to carry out the runway works at night over a much longer period. This would have a greater impact on business travel, as it would mean the possible reduction of early morning and late-night flights in and out of Cork.”

You really are hopeless.

The DAA never ran Shannon Airport.

Before DAA were set up there was an organisation called Aer Rianta, they ran the 3 airports Dumplin, Shannon and Cork.

When the new terminal was built in Cork, the FF Minister at that time promised that Cork airport would be independent and that it would be debt free.
However that did not happen, Cork was indeed saddled with the debt, that made it impossible for it to be an independent entity.

During that time period Aer Rianta was wound up and a separate body was established to over see Dumplin airport.
For whatever reason your old Gods in FF decided to also let the DAA oversee Cork Airport.

Subsequently to that Shannon was given its independence, it was also given an adjoining industrial estate of which it collects rental income.
They are now paying Ryanair to operate flights to Shannon.

If Cork had handed over the old terminal to Ryanair, then the only airline operating there now would be them and they would have Cork by the balls.

That is commercial reality for you Soundy.

I know with what you do, you are not exposed to that sort of stuff.

Shannon was in terminal decline pre-covid and losing lots of jobs and routes as well as Aer Lingus slots.

Imagine being totally dependent on Michael O'Leary?

I knew full well that you did not even read or understand the article:

You really are hopeless.

Irish Examiner:“In fact, the alternative was to carry out the runway works at night over a much longer period. This would have a greater impact on business travel, as it would mean the possible reduction of early morning and late-night flights in and out of Cork.”

Flights that are going in and out less than half full but with business travel they'd have cancelled the flights? Bullshit. But they're trying to cover their @rses in putting up excuses. How long is the runway unused each night? What is the earliest flight out of Cork (I think from memory there's a 6:30?AM to Amsterdam) and the last arrival (I think it used be an 11:40PM from London?). I'm open to correction from anyone here more familiar with the flights to and from Cork Airport but that's the bones of 7 hours each and every night. And that's without ANY change to flights never mind the POSSIBLE reduction of early morning and late-night flights.

Shannon was in terminal decline pre-covid and losing lots of jobs and routes as well as Aer Lingus slots.

Imagine being totally dependent on Michael O'Leary?

Who were they losing their slots to? Not that monster in the east by any chance?

And didn't Cork Airport at teh time of DAA says no to Cork Airport lose its freight terminal to Shannon?

Why would Cork Airport have become "totally dependent on Michael O'Leary"? Ryan Air would have been using the old terminal, while the flights Aer Lingus, BA, Lufthansa etc would have continued to use the new terminal.

Flights that are going in and out less than half full but with business travel they'd have cancelled the flights? Bullshit. But they're trying to cover their @rses in putting up excuses. How long is the runway unused each night? What is the earliest flight out of Cork (I think from memory there's a 6:30?AM to Amsterdam) and the last arrival (I think it used be an 11:40PM from London?). I'm open to correction from anyone here more familiar with the flights to and from Cork Airport but that's the bones of 7 hours each and every night. And that's without ANY change to flights never mind the POSSIBLE reduction of early morning and late-night flights.

And a full safety check airside to safely remove all personnel, heavy equipment, constructing debris, temporary lighting and cabling, materials you are down to approx 5 hours a night for months on end and all weather dependent on arrival/departure times.

Listen to the experts and D.A.A. and just get the thing done in 10 weeks in a quiet period post-summer and pre-December busy time and winter sun/Ski trips.

And a full safety check airside to safely remove all personnel, heavy equipment, constructing debris, temporary lighting and cabling, materials you are down to approx 5 hours a night for months on end and all weather dependent on arrival/departure times.

Listen to the experts and D.A.A. and just get the thing done in 10 weeks in a quiet period post-summer and pre-December busy time and winter sun/Ski trips.

Other airports seem to manage to upgrade their facilities without having to shut down for 10 weeks at a time. And many of them are far far busier airports than Cork is. But hey, Dublin Airport is only just up the road so no worries eh?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 5:30pm

More events ▼