Sir Henry's - The Myths

people do mistake the start of house with the "rave " movment . smegg is right on .

i read a book called "altered states" it points to the summer of love in ibiza around 88 for the start of the rave/ectasy scene.

Well thats where the influence of thumping bass lines and psychedelic rythms bought out from the likes of Goa - [84/85/86/87] but also as well American musicians were turning up and bringing the 'Acid Cuts' which was the basic foundation of house - sort of like an east meets west?

certainly from what I remember of the time around Southern England and this was before the major Acid House raves of mid to late 88/early 89 - the psychedelic elctronic styles of Goa had already started to happen. I remember being at a party in Salisbury would have been late 87? and it was being played [fucking weird shit for the time]... I also knew a bunch of guys out by Frome way who were very involved in the early parties. [end of 87/through 88]...

Rave was a scene, just like Balearic, where many genres of electronic music were played at.

actually from what I'm finding out RAVE goes back a lot further than just our little 'scene'

Ibiza/Balearic scene has always had a major influence on [modern] music

I got a BJ at the bar there from a French student back in 1984. Don't remember the band though. Shame on me...

Had one in Chandras later that week too from the same young lady. Whatever became of that place?

Going back a bit I know...some of you weren't even fucking born then.

I got a BJ at the bar there from a French student back in 1984. Don't remember the band though. Shame on me...

Had one in Chandras later that week too from the same young lady. Whatever became of that place?

Going back a bit I know...some of you weren't even fucking born then.

That takes me back. I scored with some mingers in that place! Only ever been to Sir Henrys once and that was the Jazz weekend back in either 93 or 94 when they opened up the doors that led from Chandras to Sir Henrys. As for Chandras? If memory serves me right they renamed it NRG or something like that in 1994 i think. It lasted about a month or two and then i think it became the forum. I maybe wrong but i sure they made Henrys bigger when Chandras/NRG became the forum cos when i went to the forum it was much smaller and unrecogisable in shape to what Chandras was.

"The Circus" first for awhile in the summer of 1994

didn't work though

I ran a night called "Shit Happens" there with DJ Fork (Charles de Gaul of the PROC) when it became the Forum

didn't work either!:)

I remember hearing one time that they used to turn the taps off in the Jacks to stop people drinking water from them so they would buy bottled water from the bar instead. Was that true?

I remember hearing one time that they used to turn the taps off in the Jacks to stop people drinking water from them so they would buy bottled water from the bar instead. Was that true?
The taps were just broken. When I worked there I mostly used to serve pints of water, vodka/red bull and pint bottles of carling! I never saw a bottle of water in my bar, except for tonic/soda.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Polly Barrett
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

8th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

James Ahern

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼