Woman murdered in Tullamore..

A 2018 UN report on violence toward Roma women in Albania, Montenegro and Macedonia found a far higher acceptance of violence toward a spouse amongst Roma men than their non Roma counterparts.

Screenshot_20220120-210404_OneDrive.jpg

MatlockY will tell us the UN report isn't reliable either I suppose.

Why can't you if it is the same ethnic group.

Do you think the Irish in England have largely diverse views to the Irish in Australia or even here? If they are there generations than yes, but if not, I wouldn't think there would be any difference.

What are the numbers involved in family hearings each year, (I've no idea), I'd imagine there certainly is no love lost but is it the same to say you hate or even wish violence upon the woman (singular) who from their perspective is trying to take their kids away as opposed to saying you condone done violence on women (plural).

If you don't agree with the bit in bold than what was every article last week about, they were certainly making a connection between negative attitudes to women and violence towards women, I'd say to a lesser extent you were doing or implying the same, if not why the need or wish to educate men, whatever form this may take?
Because ethnicity is not the only thing that impacts attitudes. Even within the abstract of that article they mentioned differences in attitude based on religion and poverty levels.

In relation to the comparison to family law hearings, I don't know if you can really say that the people questioned in that study were condoning violence towards all women (rather than it being related to experiences that they have had, as it would in a family court setting) given that the survey or interview questions aren't available. Certainly if you stood outside a family law hearing and asked people when they were leaving if they condoned violence towards women you would get a good number who would say it was warranted in certainly circumstances.

In terms of attitudes and actions, I have been consistent in saying that while changes in attitude are necessary,all men are not responsible for the actions of a few. The same is true of all Roma not being responsible for the actions of a few.

A 2018 UN report on violence toward Roma women in Albania, Montenegro and Macedonia found a far higher acceptance of violence toward a spouse amongst Roma men than their non Roma counterparts.

View attachment 9981

MatlockY will tell us the UN report isn't reliable either I suppose.
I won't say a UN report isn't reliable, but I will say that kingy's assertion was not in relation to domestic violence.

I would also say that that report doesn't related to Ireland.

I would also say that acceptance of violence is not the same thing as committing violence.

I won't say a UN report isn't reliable, but I will say that kingy's assertion was not in relation to domestic violence.

I would also say that that report doesn't related to Ireland.

I would also say that acceptance of violence is not the same thing as committing violence.

Yes, the report as stated relates to Albania, Montenegro & Macedonia .

Are you on some kind of stupidity kick?

Its info was taken from a wider 2017 EU Roma survey conducted by the UN and the European Commission.

Because ethnicity is not the only thing that impacts attitudes. Even within the abstract of that article they mentioned differences in attitude based on religion and poverty levels.

In relation to the comparison to family law hearings, I don't know if you can really say that the people questioned in that study were condoning violence towards all women (rather than it being related to experiences that they have had, as it would in a family court setting) given that the survey or interview questions aren't available. Certainly if you stood outside a family law hearing and asked people when they were leaving if they condoned violence towards women you would get a good number who would say it was warranted in certainly circumstances.

In terms of attitudes and actions, I have been consistent in saying that while changes in attitude are necessary,all men are not responsible for the actions of a few. The same is true of all Roma not being responsible for the actions of a few.
Hang on did someone on this forum not say, saying men does not men all men!! It's still plural.

Anyways of all the solutions we have heard one of the most obvious has not even been mentioned, and it relates to exactly what you are seeing in the district court. While there will always be husbands who resort to violence from day one, I'd imagine quite a few who do, only do so (its not an excuse) after the relationship breaks down and then being more or less forced to live together when both probably despise or grow to despise each other, so the first bill I'd be tabling if I were in government would be to relax our divorce laws.

In many cases it would pre-empt violence that may not have happened if both were able to go their separate ways at an earlier stage in their breakdown. I know there will always be cases due to economic reasons, they can't separate, or potentially the likelihood of court rulings on the family (probably more male related) may have an influence. Still it seems the obvious thing to do if people are serious about change.

No, just pointing out its limitations in an Irish context.

You've been presented with information from a report compiled by the UN , from three countries , based on info from a wider survey of EU countries and you simply discount it?

As for 'acceptance of violence isnt committing violence'? Lol, yeah what should the survey ask, 'have you hit your wife in the last week'?

I'd like you now to present some kind of information that would support your belief that there isn't a higher instance of violence toward woman amongst the Roma community.

In your own time.

Hang on did someone on this forum not say, saying men does not men all men!! I said women plural, not all women.

Anyways of all the solutions we have heard one of the most obvious has not even been mentioned, and it relates to exactly what you are seeing in the district court. While there will always be husbands who resort to violence from day one, I'd imagine quite a few who do, only do so (its not an excuse) after the relationship breaks down and then being more or less forced to live together when both probably despise or grow to despise each other, so the first bill I'd be tabling if I were in government would be to relax our divorce laws.

In many cases it would pre-empt violence that may not have happened if both were able to go their separate ways at an earlier stage in their breakdown. I know there will always be cases due to economic reasons, they can't separate, or potentially the likelihood of court rulings on the family (probably more male related) may have an influence. Still it seems the obvious thing to do if people are serious about change.
To be fair, our divorce laws have been relaxed substantially recently. A bigger issue, over the last decade anyway, has been couples who have split up and are stuck in negative equity. Bank wont consent to anyone being taken off the mortgage so neither party can move on. That causes enormous bad feeling, especially if they end up in new relationships.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
SAL
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

28th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Song Of Granite (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼