Will Holly Cairns improve the chances of the fledging Social Democrats

Can you run me through your thought process on this CR? Yer woman Orli Degani objected to the appearance of Palestinian flags at SD events.

SDs moved a motion that "The Government should also pursue all possible avenues at the EU and the UN to build an international alliance for peace to provide a pathway away from violence and back to the negotiation table. The Palestinian and Israeli people need a political, not military solution to this crisis.”

Party leader Holly Cairns said:

“The permissive and ambivalent reaction by the international community to the litany of war crimes and flagrant breaches of international law by Israel has been shameful.

“Israel’s cruel and disproportionate response to the barbaric October 7 attacks by Hamas has, to date, seen more than 11,000 people killed in Gaza – over 5,000 of them children – and resulted in the collective punishment and mass displacement of millions of innocent civilians.

“Our motion calls on the Irish Government to lobby for the suspension of the EU-Israel Association Agreement on the grounds that the human rights clause in the trade deal has been seriously breached. The EU should also suspend Israel’s access to the €95 billion Horizon Europe fund for research and innovation.

“Given Israel’s failure to cease the deliberate targeting of civilians, journalists, UN staff and healthcare workers, the Government must withdraw the diplomatic status of the Israeli Ambassador to Ireland."

In view of all of this it could hardly have come as a complete shock to Ms Degani that the SDs were against the Israeli excesses in Palestine.

And spare us the "Not too keen on Jewish folk" shtick - there are many many Jews who are utterly against the Israeli's carry on in Palestine. It is NOT anti-Semitic and to pretend that it is, does a disservice to those trying to eradicate the evil of actual anti-Semitism.
And there are many in the "pro-Palestine" camp here and abroad who couldn't give a toss about what happened on 7 October.

I don't disagree that she was moved aside because she no longer fits the profile they wish to project weeks before the election.

What I don't get though is the whole jump to allegations of anti-Semitism and the large dollop of Godwin's Law thrown in on top of it. 🤷‍♂️
Soundy it’s well documented Hamas supporters like yourself and Holly are raging anti Semites m8.

You left out Sinn Fein suspending Peadar Tobin twice because he thought abortion was murder and wouldn't bow to your organisation flip flopping on the issue.

If you check back at the time I had sympathy for Tobin's stance. A number of (some former) SF voters that I know did too. But even a rabid anti-SFer like you can hardly try to accuse MLMD of acting like a Fuhrer when it was a vote from the floor of an Ard Fheis by a majority of more than 4:1 who voted for the policy. If 80+% of your party is insisting them's the rules then them's the rules - it's how democracy works.

Personally I thought MM was right to allow FF TDs vote according to their personal conscience but history showed that his TDs posing en masse for photos claiming "family values" (as though daughters weren't real members of a family and/or weren't wise enough to really know what to do with their own bodies) was not a good look imho

And there are many in the "pro-Palestine" camp here and abroad who couldn't give a toss about what happened on 7 October.

Can you (or jimmy) name some of the "many in the "pro-Palestine" camp here and abroad who couldn't give a toss about what happened on 7 October" with evidence to support that? I must confess I've not seen anyone here post anything so crass.

Soundy it’s well documented Hamas supporters like yourself and Holly are raging anti Semites m8.

Show evidence of that anti Semitic allegation or kindly withdraw it.

Anti-semitism, like racism, is an evil and has no place in the world.

Do you think the guys in this photo are anti-Semitic because of their aversion to Zionism?

1714724784915.png

Show evidence of that anti Semitic allegation or kindly withdraw it.

Anti-semitism, like racism, is an evil and has no place in the world.

Do you think the guys in this photo are anti-Semitic because of their aversion to Zionism?

View attachment 32398
Your right Soundy that was a dirty dig, I don't believe you or Holly are Anti-Semitic.

I do believe Orli Degani has been treated unfairly though for political gain by SD's

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nicole Maguire
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Rostah

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼