who else is gonna take Friday off !!! :)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishe...m=ireland-qqqa=ireland-qqqid=56390-qqqx=1.asp

Employees to work leap day for free

By Niamh Hennessy
IRISH employees will work an extra day for free on Friday — resulting in a €300m boost for employers.

Because of the leap year the number of working days increases this year from 261 to 262, which means employers who pay fixed salaries get a day of free labour from their workers.

The revelation has even sparked the setting-up of a Facebook network — National Duvet Day, which is calling on people to take the day off from work and school on February 29.

More than 4,000 people from Ireland and Britain have signed up for the network.

Chief economist at Friends First Jim Power said if employers don’t pay staff for an extra day of work it will be a huge revenue boost for them.

“However I would see it as nit-picking from the employees’ perspective because it’s really a case of you win some and you lose some,” he said.

The revenue generated will put Irish employers in a good position ahead of the upcoming national pay talks, according to the Irish Congress of Trade Union (ICTU). “It should at least influence the upcoming pay talks if employers are going into them with their wallets fattened by €300m.

“The timing is perfect in terms of boosting the funds and resources available to employers to meet our pay claims,” said ICTU spokesman Macdara Doyle.

In Britain, a campaign has also been launched by the charity Duvetday.org, which is asking people to reduce the greenhouse gases they would normally generate by not travelling to and from school or work on Friday.

In response, the National Trust have told their 4,800 staff and 49,000 volunteers in Britain and the North to take the day off.

its work-life balance day aswell :)

I am.

I'm a student though, and I'm a bit of a diva when it comes to Fridays. I just don't do them. Every Friday is Duvet Day.

wait till you're working ...

I'm seriously sleep deprived at the moment cause I refuse to spend my time off vegging ... and I really really try to not let work interfere with my life ...

actually getting used to it at this stage ...

being residually a bit sleepy ...

I am.

I'm a student though, and I'm a bit of a diva when it comes to Fridays. I just don't do them. Every Friday is Duvet Day.

I had a nine start every Friday morning right up until the last term of undergrad.

They don't even do Fridays in my brother and sister's Finance course.

Bitter.

ah sure fuck it i cant move with my leg so i've every day off

*shudders*
i never thought i'd say this but I WISH I COULD GO TO WORK/COLLEGE

*shudders*

No actually maybe not but i wish i could be like everyone else that doesnt work/go to college and just go about the place as i please

I'm seriously sleep deprived at the moment cause I refuse to spend my time off vegging ... and I really really try to not let work interfere with my life ...

Think of all the sleep you never catch up on over the course of your life. I'm making up for that now. An investment in the future, if you will.

I had a nine start every Friday morning right up until the last term of undergrad.

They don't even do Fridays in my brother and sister's Finance course.

Bitter.

I have Wednesdays off and only one lec on a Fiday so I take that off too. Realistically I spend about five hours a week in lectures, seminars and labs a week. Combined, like. It's a hard old life.

You know, I think I need to swap the weekend booze-a-thon/weeknight veg-a-thon for something a bit more measured.

It's just I'm still friendly with post-grad types and the "couple of pints" mid week invariably ends up with me staggering home at four in the morning.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
KAWALA - CANCELLED
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

10th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jimmy Lee

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼