Vintage cars

I’ve got to the point where our 2nd car is costing me money and it owes me nothing at this stage. I have no love for cars as such so the idea of spending 30 or 40 grand on a car makes no sense in my head, nor do those PCP schemes, I dont want to owe money for a car.

On the other hand I always think some of the nicest cars on the road are the likes of those old 500SL mercs. Would I be completely mental to go and buy something like a 90s one of those? Are they the kind of thing that end up costing you fortunes to run? Bear in mind I know absolutely nothing about cars so won’t be doing any work myself on it no matter how straight forward

Or if you were spending say €15k on something like that what would you buy?

I’ve got to the point where our 2nd car is costing me money and it owes me nothing at this stage. I have no love for cars as such so the idea of spending 30 or 40 grand on a car makes no sense in my head, nor do those PCP schemes, I dont want to owe money for a car.

On the other hand I always think some of the nicest cars on the road are the likes of those old 500SL mercs. Would I be completely mental to go and buy something like a 90s one of those? Are they the kind of thing that end up costing you fortunes to run? Bear in mind I know absolutely nothing about cars so won’t be doing any work myself on it no matter how straight forward

I loved those old Mercs too, even when I was younger!

If I had the money for a second car, I would go down that route.

Buyer beware, do your research and check online motoring forums and have a checklist of potential pitfalls.

They could be a money pit otherwise.

I loved those old Mercs too, even when I was younger!

If I had the money for a second car, I would go down that route.

Buyer beware, do your research and check online motoring forums and have a checklist of potential pitfalls.

They could be a money pit otherwise.

That’s what I’m worried about, but at least you’d be spending the money fixing a car you love instead of something you have no gra at all for!

Merc and BMW parts are expensive Honky.
I used to do my own servicing, repairs, rather than pay good money to someone to do it for me.
Love the 520D M sport, stay away from pcp.

That’s what I’m worried about, but at least you’d be spending the money fixing a car you love instead of something you have no gra at all for!

Avoid.

Anything older than 10 years and you are going to have serious wear and tear. It's a nice idea but as a car thats going to be in use day to day, forget about it.

It will just end up costing you time and money.

Buy something two or three years old from the north, higher spec and even with VRT you will save yourself 3 or 4k.

Kind of on a related note a guy I knew had 2 mercs, one from the 60s and another from the 1950s. My eyes watered when I checked out what they were worth. That kind of purchase is an investment moreso than anything.

Like buying a boat, the happiest two days of your life are the day you buy a classic car, and the day you sell it.

Ireland unfortunately is very poor for cost effective options for maintaining a classic.

I couldn't get parts for mine, I would be waiting a week to see if they had them. Money, money, money. I loved the car but it got to the stage where I couldn't maintain it anymore. Realistically you would need to be a mechanic or something similar to warrant it so you could do the work yourself on it.

Like buying a boat, the happiest two days of your life are the day you buy a classic car, and the day you sell it.

Ireland unfortunately is very poor for cost effective options for maintaining a classic.

Repped, limited market in this country and will cost you a fortune to keep it running.

As StuffY said unless you are an Edd China type you are going go end up spending more than the value of the car to keep it on the road. Volkswagon are good for spares but again reliability on a classic model will break your heart.

A fella I know had a 78 camper van and sure it looked cool on a July day but twas off the road more than twas on it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Souldriven

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼