UK suffers from 'plastic paddy syndrome'

pudgee said:
Yeah, used to it by now. In mid-conversation last Friday, when the girl I was talking to just cut across me to say to her friend 'doesn't he have a lovely accent'. hard to know what to make of it, really, but you just lt it go.
It happens alot to me too here in Wales. To be honest, I feel a bit silly and more than a little self -concious that someone is enjoying listening to my accent. It's all in the way we roll our r's..

It makes a bit of a difference from the GF saying that Cork accents give her a headache :p (she's from Limerick).

Still, I suppose it's a damn sight less annoying than being harassed by the police and regarded with suspicion because of your accent.

steve sanders said:
"thirty three and a third" i used to get.

that was mainly in scotland though. i think it must stem from some tv show?

i get that ALL the time....

at first i would say 'thats the dublin accent, not mine'....but now i just say it for them...to make them go away

odyssey said:
i get that ALL the time....

at first i would say 'thats the dublin accent, not mine'....but now i just say it for them...to make them go away

i use it to solicit sexual favours from teenage tramps.

it takes all sorts i get.

Could someone find out that thirty three and a third thing, I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked it. I think it's the way we pronounce th. I get thursday a lot too.

I've also been blamed for the rise in swearing around the office, I'm quite proud of that though.

tucker lyons said:
its the playing speed of an old vinyl album

apparently the story is that these lads in london were sharing digs (a few scots and brums and an irish lad) and one night one of the lads brought home an LP and he stuck it on but the turntable was at 45rpm and the irish lad shouted 'jayzus lads...shtick it on turty tchree and turd'

tucker
Tucker you will now have to explain to the youngsters here exactly what,
(1) a vinyl album is
(2) an LP is
(3) the whole two speed turntable could take days to get through.Probably best not to mention the fun we had as children playing records at the wrong speed.

tucker lyons said:
the fun wasnt really too good tho. eveyone sounded like alvin and the chipmunks...cept elvis...he sounded like me auntie betty

dont forget 78rpm....our old stereogram at home at 45 33 1/3 and 78 rpm

tucker
the 78's were like dinner plates.

tucker lyons said:
knowing what i know now about the prices of rare 78s, frisbeeing me grandads john mccormick and al jolsen collections with me brother was not the brightest thing we ever cooked up

tucker
I'm guessing that beatings ensued...

I've detected a distinctive Cork lilt among dubs I've worked with in the past if I work with them for a while. They say we sing, I say they whine. Singing's better.

tucker lyons said:
knowing what i know now about the prices of rare 78s, frisbeeing me grandads john mccormick and al jolsen collections with me brother was not the brightest thing we ever cooked up

tucker
ditto,but they did make a great noise when they smashed.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼