Training Run Times

the simplest form of exercise, and still you do it wrong.
please please people, take no exercise advice from someone talking with glee about the hurt factor in exercise.
feel the burn anvy.....thats right baby!!
a hr monitor is not a pedometer.
you know nothing of nutrition.
everyone likes a pint of 2 after training.
you are stupid to run a marathon with a hangover, it happens, but the weaker amoungst us could suffer{see heart attack} if they took the same advice.we are not all as hard as you....

Lads this is one of the best threads I've seen on this forum. I moved to the Peak district last year with the firm intention of getting outdoors and fit again. I now get out occassionally on the bike and cycle about 10 miles on the bridle ways/ canal tow paths. At 32 I'm getting a little worried that I may have left it too late to get my fitness back. I played a lot of football about 10 years ago and my hamstrings aint great now. I cannot abide the gym as I've joined a few times with the best intentions and got bored. I now live in the perfect environment for running and outdoor activities but am not sure if I can get the fitness back/ lose a bit of weight. Anyone been in this situation?

yeah. i spent most of my year involved in martial arts and powerlifting, but at one point i figured whats the point doing shitloads of benchs,squats and deadlifts when my heartrate was sky high?
triathlons where the answer for me and i find running highly addictive. specially with the mp3 player and a bit of symphoney & metallica .
"off through the new days mist i run"

with regards to age, age is truly just a number.most champion ironmen are 35 and up.
what about randy the natural coture ,from the u.f.c.? just obey the heart rate issue. stay in low zones for 6 months or so and build a base and an areobic ability to burn fat more easily.
forget about sprints, intervals or beep tests .
just concentrate on L/S/D/ long slow distance. after a few months the gut will fly off ya.

Yeah, it is a great thread, and one of the main reasons is that unlike a lot of other threads in this place, it hasn't been reduced to namecalling and WUMMERY for its own sake. With that said, thanks for all the helpful advice timthetrip and others, and to ANVIL, I would say that there's a part of me that agrees with you, but at this stage of my life I have to defer to science and learning best practice. As simple as running is, there are still right and wrong ways to do it to maximise your results, including training schedules and times, diet and nutrition, technique, motivation, equipment, and training programs. If your method is to just get out there and run, that's great, but I think there are others among us who like to learn about the things we do. I hope everybody keeps providing updates on training successes, failures, locales, etc. Even the simple act of contributing to a running community in a forum like this is having positive benefits for me.

Yeah, it is a great thread, and one of the main reasons is that unlike a lot of other threads in this place, it hasn't been reduced to namecalling and WUMMERY for its own sake. With that said, thanks for all the helpful advice timthetrip and others, and to ANVIL, I would say that there's a part of me that agrees with you, but at this stage of my life I have to defer to science and learning best practice. As simple as running is, there are still right and wrong ways to do it to maximise your results, including training schedules and times, diet and nutrition, technique, motivation, equipment, and training programs. If your method is to just get out there and run, that's great, but I think there are others among us who like to learn about the things we do. I hope everybody keeps providing updates on training successes, failures, locales, etc. Even the simple act of contributing to a running community in a forum like this is having positive benefits for me.

o anvy is dead right. and i must admit that all my runs at pace leave me hurt a little, but lets be honest , he can do a sub 330 marthon. i think that at beginner to intermediate {carmona for example}level, the balls tro the walls approach is wrong and stupid and often leads to burnout if not injury.
6 months of slow base is the way.

then when the ligimaments and tendons are conditioned enough, sure bring on a little pain.
only then.

Lads this is one of the best threads I've seen on this forum. I moved to the Peak district last year with the firm intention of getting outdoors and fit again. I now get out occassionally on the bike and cycle about 10 miles on the bridle ways/ canal tow paths. At 32 I'm getting a little worried that I may have left it too late to get my fitness back. I played a lot of football about 10 years ago and my hamstrings aint great now. I cannot abide the gym as I've joined a few times with the best intentions and got bored. I now live in the perfect environment for running and outdoor activities but am not sure if I can get the fitness back/ lose a bit of weight. Anyone been in this situation?

El Toro you should have no trouble getting fit at 32.
I'm 44 and I'm fitter now than at any time in my life.
Try mixing in a bit of running with the cycling,there must be some great routes in the Peak district.

I know but the back road from Donnybrook to the Airport has some right fucking dipsticks driving on it.You'ld be taking your life in your hands running on it.

That I could see being a big problem back in Ireland. I was staying with a sister out past the Blackman pub there in October for a week and was thinking of going out for a run; HA! The amount of traffic on a small country road, jesus, a walk was dangerous enough. If we move and buy again, I'd have to take training routes into account.

I know but the back road from Donnybrook to the Airport has some right fucking dipsticks driving on it.You'ld be taking your life in your hands running on it.

thats castle tresure,farmers cross. great little spot for a run, but your right about the fuckheads on that back road. the funny thing is when i was 17 i was one of the same little fuckers that same road.
jeasus, i cant believe that im now the sad fucker running up the road.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

His Father's Voice

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼