The Official Man Utd Thread - Part 3.

Similar to Wan-Bissaka (well, very good tackler anyway, positioning is a bit suspect to be called a very good defender, which Maguire also suffers from occasionally)
Both were bought when the move to pressing was already in full swing in football.
Spending £130m on non-footballing defenders in 2019 was as wise as spending £130m on DVD rental shops.

Utd’s lack of a director of football/recruitment has really cost them there. When the entire world was moving towards pressing and playing out from the back Utd were giving DDG a new €400k a week contract and signing AWB/Maguire.

If i remember correctly Maguire’s ball playing ability was a major reason he was signed. As a pure defender Smalling was better.

If i remember correctly Maguire’s ball playing ability was a major reason he was signed. As a pure defender Smalling was better.

They were hoodwinked by a few surging runs into midfield, powered largely by head weight, into thinking he was a ball-playing centre-half.

Likewise they mistook AWB's pace for final third incisiveness.

Two horrific calls.

100%.

All he needs is an extended run in the team to brush the cobwebs off.

ETH needs to sit him down and promise him 100-150 games and he’ll be right in his rhythm again.

If not, i’d be looking at bringing in Southgate as manager and possible even Tyrone Mings as a partner, if they can prise him from the Villa, to unlock Maguire’s full potential.
Why don't you STFU M8?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy (Crystal Bar)

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼