The Official Lenient Sentence Thread

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-jailed-for-killing-journalist-599197.html


Man jailed for killing journalist

02/07/2013 - 14:57:40


A man who celebrated after delivering a fatal punch in a “gratuitous” assault on journalist Eugene Moloney has been jailed for three and a half years.
Gary Burch (aged 22) threw his arms in the air in a “celebratory fashion” and shouted “boom” after punching Mr Moloney in the neck.
The apprentice mechanic, who has no previous convictions, became upset during interviews with gardaí and told them he was disgusted with what was “a moment of craziness”.
Burch, of Kennington Close, Templogue, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to the unlawful killing of Mr Moloney (aged 55) at 4am on Camden Street on June 24, 2012.
Mr Moloney was taken to hospital by ambulance shortly after the assault but was pronounced dead an hour later at approximately 5am.
Judge Mary Ellen Ring suspended the last two years of a five and a half year sentence, which she backdated to December 15, 2012 to account for time already served in custody after his arrest.
She said, with regard to the usual injury, the effect of hitting someone on the neck can not be anticipated to lead to death.
Detective Inspector Sean Campbell told Pieter Le Vert BL, prosecuting at the sentence hearing last month that a pathologist report concluded that Mr Moloney died from a blow or impact to the side of the neck which cut a vertebral artery and caused a “subarachnoid haemorrhage” at the base of his skull.
But the judge also noted that the two men were strangers and said that late night assaults fuelled by drink are all too common. She said the courts had a role to play in deterrence of this.
She said: “Getting drunk or drugged and then engaging in violence cannot continue. Discharging people who are intoxicated all together on the public pathways is a recipe for disaster”.
She said the attack was gratuitous and that Mr Moloney was accosted verbally before Burch intervened with the use of force.
She said Burch’s action immediately after the assault was a feature of self congratulatory behaviour seen in other assaults. But she accepted that his later self disgust was sincere.
 
hmmm... I am not to be lumped in with Mattie here now, but I think it is about right

Theres no way I would agree if the victim was someone I knew, but I really doubt he meant to kill the guy, and he punched him once in the side of the neck. He didnt continue to punch him or kick his head or whatever.

I'd say many on here have hit someone harder and nothing other than a black eye or bruise came of it



This thread should have started with those scumbag girls in Dublin that beat the girl that was pregnant which resulted in her miscarrying and them off to Paris with the circus..
 
hmmm... I am not to be lumped in with Mattie here now, but I think it is about right

Theres no way I would agree if the victim was someone I knew, but I really doubt he meant to kill the guy, and he punched him once in the side of the neck. He didnt continue to punch him or kick his head or whatever.

I'd say many on here have hit someone harder and nothing other than a black eye or bruise came of it



This thread should have started with those scumbag girls in Dublin that beat the girl that was pregnant which resulted in her miscarrying and them off to Paris with the circus..

I would disagree.

Whether he punched him once or twenty times the result was a man losing his life.I don't go along with this unintentional stuff at all.He killed him.He was dead an hour after the slap he got.

Three and a half years for killing a person is disgusting.

By the way feel free to add a link to the case you referred to.
 
As well as their ramadan stuff, Channel 4 are screening this next week.

The Murder Trial

After three years of negotiation, the Scottish High Court gave permission for this extraordinary and unique access - to film the case of a man accused of murdering his wife. Her body has never been found, there is no weapon, no crime scene and her husband appears to have a cast iron alibi for the day she disappeared.

For the first time ever, remotely-operated cameras have been placed inside a British criminal court to capture a murder trial in its entirety for this brand new feature-length documentary. Recorded over six weeks, this film shows the process of justice in a Scottish High Court like never before. With over 70 witnesses and 104 pieces of evidence the complex case is dissected firstly by the Prosecution QC Alex Prentice and then the Defence QC John Scott. The victim in the case is Arlene Fraser and her family have now been waiting over 14 years for justice.

Nat Fraser was first brought to trial in 2003 for the murder of his wife – he was found guilty. But Fraser argued that the trial was a miscarriage of justice and challenged the verdict in the highest courts in the land. The case became a cause celebre. Eventually, after years of protesting his innocence, the conviction was quashed in 2011. In April 2012, Nat Fraser was sent back to the High Court in Edinburgh for a fresh trial, 14 years after his wife’s disappearance. A new jury was sworn in to hear all the evidence against him. Would they find him innocent or convict him of murder?

Filmed and Directed by: Nick Holt
 
I would disagree.

Whether he punched him once or twenty times the result was a man losing his life.I don't go along with this unintentional stuff at all.He killed him.He was dead an hour after the slap he got.

Three and a half years for killing a person is disgusting.

By the way feel free to add a link to the case you referred to.

http://www.herald.ie/news/victim-saw-attacker-on-tv-trip-to-paris-29360600.html

THE victim of a vicious assault has spoken about her anger at seeing one of her attackers being "rewarded" with a trip to Paris as part of an RTE show.

Julie McGregor was attacked with a baseball bat by sisters, Ciara Kiernan (18) and Sabrina Archbold (25), outside her apartment minutes after she had revealed to her friends that she was pregnant.

She miscarried the day after the horrific incident while she was in hospital being treated for her injuries.

Her family say they do not know whether the attack was directly related to her losing her baby.

Yesterday, both sisters were given two-year suspended sentences by Judge Mary Ellen Ring, who noted it was a serious assault, but that neither had any other convictions.

The sisters, both of Drumalee Grove, North Circular Road, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm at Carnlough Road, Cabra, on October 3, 2011.

The court heard that following the attack, Kiernan was approached by a television production company to appear on John Lonergan's show, Circus.


The reality television series, which was hosted by the former governor of Mountjoy, depicted wayward youths being rehabilitated through taking part in a circus.

Ms McGregor told Dublin Circuit Criminal Court of her anger and shock at seeing her attacker taken to Paris as part of the show. She said it felt like Kiernan was being rewarded for the attack by going on television and getting a foreign trip.

"I've always wanted to be on TV, I've always wanted to go to Paris, but I can't afford it," she said.

Ms McGregor said the production company had asked if she was comfortable with Kiernan going on the show and she said she was after Kiernan had apologised to her.

However, Ms McGregor said she did not know the programme would be so "rewarding" and that Kiernan would get a foreign trip.


Michael Bowman, defending Kiernan, handed in letters from John Lonergan and the show's producers which stated the show had a positive impact on her.

Counsel added that she did go to Paris, but it was "not the case that she benefited from the crime".

Judge Ring said that she "can totally understand Ms McGregor's position" and ordered both accused pay over €500 as compensation. She added that she hoped the victim can use this for a trip to Paris.

Speaking to the Herald last night, her father Frank McGregor hit out at the suspended sentences.

"It happened right outside this front door. They arrived with baseball bats and she ended up being hospitalised.

"She lost the baby the following day – it was a very hard time for her, the worst week of her life," he said.

"It hit her really hard. She took a long time to recover. And yet these two girls are allowed to walk free. It's not right at all," he added.
 

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Ricky Kelleher
Clancy's, Marlborough St.

6th Dec 2022 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

The Battle For Cork

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

View more events ▼
Top