The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Listening to Jackie cahill trying to say we were unlucky today was head wrecking. Comparing it to our loss to NZ. We were unlucky to lose to NZ, should have won it no question. But we were not unlucky today, in fact we were lucky not to get a good thumping. England bossed us for the whole 80 and only our experience (and bundee) kept us in it. A 10 point beating wouldn't have been an injustice.
Yeah, Ford missing kicks kept us in it

The Brits targeted Frawleys side of the field all day and got two tries out of it.

Can't understand why Ireland kicked the ball to John Bull at the end to give them one more go at us. Fucking madness given how many penalties we gave away.
I think kicking was the right decision. The choice of kick was poor and the execution was worse. A box kick from the 22 and they have possession in our half. One ruck followed by a massive boot down the field from a more central position and we've eaten 10 seconds and are defending further up.

A series of rucks in our own half, where all were trying to do is hold onto the ball is almost guaranteed to give them a penalty. Referees are looking closely at sealing off (and he had given two already for that). Our discipline wasn't good enough to think we could execute that perfectly, in the face of significantly better English power and speed.

I think kicking was the right decision. The choice of kick was poor and the execution was worse. A box kick from the 22 and they have possession in our half. One ruck followed by a massive boot down the field from a more central position and we've eaten 10 seconds and are defending further up.

A series of rucks in our own half, where all were trying to do is hold onto the ball is almost guaranteed to give them a penalty. Referees are looking closely at sealing off (and he had given two already for that). Our discipline wasn't good enough to think we could execute that perfectly, in the face of significantly better English power and speed.

Murray delivered two hopeless box kicks with time almost up.

Erra an Irish victory would have been robbery tbh. England were easily ten points the better team over the course of the game.

The lineout went to shit again which has to be concerning.

We're good but we're not akin to the AB's in their prime which is what some people seemed to think.
However there's a reason no one has won back to back GS's in the 6N era!
Back to back championships (which I'm pretty sure we'll win) is still an incredible achievement.
So some perspective is needed.

There are concerns though. That's two tight, high pressure games in the space of 6 months that we failed to find an answer for.

It feels like we are 90% of the way to becoming a true force but are still missing that final piece, whether it is psychological or otherwise I'm not sure but it'll be interesting to see if Farrell can figure it out over the course of the next 2/3 years or if this is as far as we will get under his tenure.

Listening to Jackie cahill trying to say we were unlucky today was head wrecking. Comparing it to our loss to NZ. We were unlucky to lose to NZ, should have won it no question. But we were not unlucky today, in fact we were lucky not to get a good thumping. England bossed us for the whole 80 and only our experience (and bundee) kept us in it. A 10 point beating wouldn't have been an injustice.
Its a fair enough comment. Murray doesn't kick that ball away at the end and they go through the phases for 60 seconds, something they've been well capable of in the past, and Ireland win.

what was obvious to me was how England seemed to be able to get go forward ball all day and again in the last 4 mins,
very hard to defend but why not keep the ball and build phases, spin the ball wide, try to get over the gainline,
I dont think the ref would have allowed us to play the last 90 secs with a series of rucks in our own 22(and rightly so),

It does seem that the Irish media seems to have collectively lost perspective on just how hard back to back grand slams is to achieve, only being done twice since WW2.

As for the absolute shite about super slams... Lot of Scots and Welsh questioning themselves because they were supporting England

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼