The Official Irish Rugby Thread

Last edited:
#1 Ranking for 7 months or so by the time the 6N rolls around
Irish player of the year
4 players in the team if the year
Questions around Sextons fitness and replacing him

Tell me we're year out from world cup without telling me 😶
In more positive terms, very happy for JvF, he's been a great player for Ireland. He's having the career you'd have dreamed of Leavy having before he was derailed by injury. In the fullness of time he'll be #7 in my personal all time Irish 15.

Last edited:
#1 Ranking for 7 months or so by the time the 6N rolls around
Irish player of the year
4 players in the team of the year
Questions around Sextons fitness and replacing him

Tell me we're year out from world cup without telling me 😶
Still, good times.

Ireland are definitely a worse team without Sexton. Carbery is decent enough, not enough presence to drive play like Sexton. It's a shame that, while he has 37 caps, far too many of them are 5 minutes at the end of games. If he stays fit over the next year and is given the start for a couple of 6 nations matchs, I think Ireland will have a good second choice option.

It's a shame Jack Crowley is only really properly emerging now and is second/third choice at Munster.

If I was in the Ireland camp, I'd be pushing to get Crowley starting a good few European matches at 10, with Carbery at 15, giving some extra cover there too.

Thankfully Jimmy O'Brien looks handy enough, so might be a desperately needed backup to Keenan.

With Finlay Bealham putting in some good performances, Ireland have at least some decent replacements.

That said, if Porter, Furlong, Sexton and Keenan are injured, Ireland are fucked. Gibson-Park is close enough to that group too, Murray is sloooowww and Casey isn't quite there yet. Shame Doak hasn't been given much of a run.

Still, good times.

Ireland are definitely a worse team without Sexton. Carbery is decent enough, not enough presence to drive play like Sexton. It's a shame that, while he has 37 caps, far too many of them are 5 minutes at the end of games. If he stays fit over the next year and is given the start for a couple of 6 nations matchs, I think Ireland will have a good second choice option.

It's a shame Jack Crowley is only really properly emerging now and is second/third choice at Munster.

If I was in the Ireland camp, I'd be pushing to get Crowley starting a good few European matches at 10, with Carbery at 15, giving some extra cover there too.

Thankfully Jimmy O'Brien looks handy enough, so might be a desperately needed backup to Keenan.

With Finlay Bealham putting in some good performances, Ireland have at least some decent replacements.

That said, if Porter, Furlong, Sexton and Keenan are injured, Ireland are fucked. Gibson-Park is close enough to that group too, Murray is sloooowww and Casey isn't quite there yet. Shame Doak hasn't been given much of a run.
Sexton remaining on until pension age is stopping player development and progression even though we are a rudderless side without him at 10.

Munster should push Casey & Crowley as starters as Carbery has huge fitness issues every game he plays and Carbery has not had a decent run for Ireland.

Hopefully Bealham continues to progress as cover.

The 6 nations has to be sacrificed in 2023 to bring players through for the World Cup as we are goosed in critical areas if there are injuries.

Jimmy O'Brien was badly shown up in the second half.

Gibson Park was shocking , giving it to Hansen off the uncontested scrum when we had the two man advantage was bonkers.

Should have been hauled immediately.

The game largely passed Crowley by, how much of that was down to Gibson Park repeatedly bypassing 10.

Big concerns ahead of the World Cup with a handful of games left to right them.

Jimmy O'Brien was badly shown up in the second half.

Gibson Park was shocking , giving it to Hansen off the uncontested scrum when we had the two man advantage was bonkers.

Should have been hauled immediately.

The game largely passed Crowley by, how much of that was down to Gibson Park repeatedly bypassing 10.

Big concerns ahead of the World Cup with a handful of games left to right them.
That move was fucking stupid alright. When you have a 2 man advantage, you go wide, not narrow, especially if there's cover.

I would say on your bypassing Crowley comment, isn't that how Ireland are playing now?
10 isn't your first receiver every time, unlike previously. Having a big forward as your first receiver who can barrel into the opposition (and offload), pop before the tackle to the man next to him, or is capable of hitting the back behind is fantastic at disrupting defence. Especially if the forward receiving it is able to do the same thing...
Back in the Schmidt era, if a big forward had it, 2 defenders could safely come in and smash them because you know that ball is going nowhere else. Entirely predictable for the defenders where they were going, easy to defend.

Now you need to closely mark 3 other players near the ball, need layers of close in defence, to cover the pop or the offload. If 2 defenders hit the ball carrier, you've almost certainly left a gap the others can exploit. And it makes far more space available out wide as you can't simply spread all your defenders out. Organising your defence for it is hard too, it's not as simple as 2-3 "pillars" by the ruck with the scrumhalf tracking behind to pick off anyone who comes through the gap.

It's a properly clever strategy for your attack, and very difficult to counter. If you replicate that pattern in broken play, not just off breakdowns, then it's devastating.
If Ireland had a couple of players with the sort of pace the likes of Kolbe has, it'd be nigh on unstoppable when executed properly.

Was nice to see Munster actually carry out that pattern against SA too, they're clearly trying to adopt it. If you get it wrong, there's a lot of dropped balls, missed passes, etc...

Anyway, point is that approach also massively reduces the impact on your 10, your 10 can be the back behind that play, rather than the first receiver.
Sexton remaining on until pension age is stopping player development and progression even though we are a rudderless side without him at 10.

Munster should push Casey & Crowley as starters as Carbery has huge fitness issues every game he plays and Carbery has not had a decent run for Ireland.

Hopefully Bealham continues to progress as cover.

The 6 nations has to be sacrificed in 2023 to bring players through for the World Cup as we are goosed in critical areas if there are injuries.
Not going to happen though, is it? The money in 6 nations is too much for the IRFU to sacrifice it. If that was going to happen, it'd have been this year or last year...

If that was going to happen, it'd have been this year or last year...

Thats about the size of it.

Watching the game Sat night on TV was struck again by the sheer amount of people waving drink about.

Thorns as much of a wally as he is was spot on in calling for the bars to be shut during play or at least not have drinks brought out to the seats. When you're at the game its a nightmare. Read an article where a guy counted he had to stand up 83 times over the course of the match to let people in and out.

If you want to get plastered just watch the game in the pub and don't spoil the game for people who are there to watch the game.

I don’t think Crowley was bad at all, solid if unspectacular, you’d take that all day as a full debut 10. Matt Giteau was doing punditry and spoke positively. McCloskey and JGP were poor and he still went well in between them.

JOB wasn’t great and he still certainly not a full back but that wasn’t his first game in his own position on his 3rd cap. All the Irish wingers need to get better under the high ball, they were all woeful.

That move was fucking stupid alright. When you have a 2 man advantage, you go wide, not narrow, especially if there's cover.

I would say on your bypassing Crowley comment, isn't that how Ireland are playing now?
10 isn't your first receiver every time, unlike previously. Having a big forward as your first receiver who can barrel into the opposition (and offload), pop before the tackle to the man next to him, or is capable of hitting the back behind is fantastic at disrupting defence. Especially if the forward receiving it is able to do the same thing...
Back in the Schmidt era, if a big forward had it, 2 defenders could safely come in and smash them because you know that ball is going nowhere else. Entirely predictable for the defenders where they were going, easy to defend.

Now you need to closely mark 3 other players near the ball, need layers of close in defence, to cover the pop or the offload. If 2 defenders hit the ball carrier, you've almost certainly left a gap the others can exploit. And it makes far more space available out wide as you can't simply spread all your defenders out. Organising your defence for it is hard too, it's not as simple as 2-3 "pillars" by the ruck with the scrumhalf tracking behind to pick off anyone who comes through the gap.

It's a properly clever strategy for your attack, and very difficult to counter. If you replicate that pattern in broken play, not just off breakdowns, then it's devastating.
If Ireland had a couple of players with the sort of pace the likes of Kolbe has, it'd be nigh on unstoppable when executed properly.

Was nice to see Munster actually carry out that pattern against SA too, they're clearly trying to adopt it. If you get it wrong, there's a lot of dropped balls, missed passes, etc...

Anyway, point is that approach also massively reduces the impact on your 10, your 10 can be the back behind that play, rather than the first receiver.

Not going to happen though, is it? The money in 6 nations is too much for the IRFU to sacrifice it. If that was going to happen, it'd have been this year or last year...
Munster played with openness and freedom in a challenge match at the Pairc was great to see but will likely revert to type in league and European games as they have too many injuries.

Shane Daly has excellent pace for Munster.

The IRFU just need to look at all our World Cup performances and disappointment's when we literally ran out of decent experienced cover for players in critical positions.

No.01 in rankings will mean nothing next September.

I don’t think Crowley was bad at all, solid if unspectacular, you’d take that all day as a full debut 10. Matt Giteau was doing punditry and spoke positively. McCloskey and JGP were poor and he still went well in between them.

JOB wasn’t great and he still certainly not a full back but that wasn’t his first game in his own position on his 3rd cap. All the Irish wingers need to get better under the high ball, they were all woeful.
Yeah, the wingers being shite under the high ball was notable, it's historically been an area where Ireland have been strong. Just seemed not to be attacking the ball in the air. Shame Lowry didn't get a go.

Conway and Lowe coming back in would make that much better.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Ward
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

1st Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼