The Official Irish Rugby Thread

World Rugby's former Medical Advisor Dr. Barry O'Driscoll on Newstalk last night slating the decision to let him play.

Said the HIA protocols have no scientific basis.

What he said is problematic is the messaging that players who fail an HIA in play can be tested 2-3 days later and be told definitively that they're proven free of concussion. When what should be said is that they're now free of symptoms.

Sexton's selection undermines 'when in doubt sit them out.' He was highly critical of the decision to cut the three weeks out if a player has suffered a head injury. He added that would be done in a standard clinical setting for a head injury i.e. 24hr observation in hospital is simply not done as it has occurred on a rugby pitch. He said they are 'playing Russian roulette with HIAs'.

Last edited:
Facing a massive uphill battle to let Sham jr get into rugby, he’s only 3 and is in to swimming and toddler football sessions already. The mini rugby would start in 12-18 month time and it’s hard to justify kicking off a sport even at underage level that shows blatant disregard for health and safety.

Facing a massive uphill battle to let Sham jr get into rugby, he’s only 3 and is in to swimming and toddler football sessions already. The mini rugby would start in 12-18 month time and it’s hard to justify kicking off a sport even at underage level that shows blatant disregard for health and safety.
Yep. My 4 year old is above the 99.6% percentile in height and we have a number of former Irish internationals in the family. Played for 28 seasons myself. Despite all that, I don't plan on bringing him to rugby because of my concerns for CTE

i can see why they are going full strength but why not blood a few lads off the bench.

Do we need to see the likes of Bealham, Treadwell, Conan, Murray, Aki etc on the bench

The sexton call is madness. But as me and others have been saying its set up for a massive failure in the world cup

Used to be a time we'd head to a buddy who had Sky at 5:30 to watch us against the all blacks. Now I wouldn't bother my hole checking my phone under my pillow

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Stunning
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

14th Dec 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼