The Official Athletics Thread

The two lads could well end up off the pace - there’s other big talent in the field too - and not just Ethiopians and Kenyans.

In their favour:

1. It’s the Olympics, so the first half should be relatively slow and cagey allowing the lads to stay on the bus

2. Their own teams may well be under orders to help them (assuming they stick to orders)

3. Last hurrah for them both means a gargantuan effort from them

4. Kipchoge will be determined to shake off recent slower performances- that should make him a tougher prospect

5. For the first time in a very long time (10-12 years?), Bekele seems to have finally delivered 12 months of running without serious injury - that should make him a tougher prospect

Not in their favour:
1. They are old (Guapo’s picture above was taken TWENTY years ago and it wasn’t taken at some juvenile meet, it’s from the Athens Olympics)

2. There are some serious operators in the field - and don’t forget there’s €50k for the winner

Big marathons are always a great watch- but the Olympics, with all the tactical stuff and such glory on offer, are off the charts. This year will be no different.

And it's hilly too I think. I find it hard to believe there won't be someone faster. The two lads in first and second would be like Djoko and Rafa in a Slam final in 2024.

And it's hilly too I think. I find it hard to believe there won't be someone faster. The two lads in first and second would be like Djoko and Rafa in a Slam final in 2024.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Murry
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Nov 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Cork Voices Of The Irish Revolution

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼