The Official Arsenal Thread - Part 2

From The Athletic if your subscription has expired:

Arsenal close to signing Fabio Vieira from Porto

David Ornstein

Arsenal are close to signing attacking midfielder Fabio Vieira from Porto in a deal worth up to €40 million, The Athletic understands.

The 22-year-old will fly to London on Thursday evening to sign an expected five-year contract.

Vieira has made 39 appearances for Porto this season, scoring seven goals and providing 16 assists.

He can also feature as a false nine or central midfielder, and has been a regular starter for Portugal Under-21.

Arsenal will pay an initial €35 million, with a possible €5 million in add-ons.

It is thought that the signing of Vieira was driven by Mikel Arteta, who has expressed his admiration of the playmaker for months.

Vieira’s signing will be Arsenal’s second deal of the summer, after confirming the arrival of 19-year-old Brazilian Marquinhos.

Vieira, who has been on holiday in Greece, will join a young nucleus of attacking midfielders which includes Martin Odegaard and Emile Smith-Rowe.

Here’s a comp…at least it gives you an idea about his range of passing and his eye for a through/over the top ball 👍 I have a soft spot for technical midfielder with great vision, I’ll have to look into him a lot more as I genuinely never took notice of him until couple of hours ago!
He looks a player, very 2 legged and seems to score and assist with his right as much as his left.

When I was doing my expert analysis of him 3 hours ago it took me a while to figure out which leg was his strongest.

He looks a player, very 2 legged and seems to score and assist with his right as much as his left.

When I was doing my expert analysis of him 3 hours ago it took me a while to figure out which leg was his strongest.

I’ve also been conducting in depth analysis/reading of that soon to be world class player.

He’s primarily left footed actually.

Have a read here:

Averaged 1 assist per 94 min in the Portuguese league and serous analytical account that I follow have posted radar comparisons with other players and the likes of Bernardo Silva or KDB came up (purely based on similar numbers as opposed to positons played, hence Reece James being in the table)

Here la:

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be against it.

Agreed, can still it happening.

I’d say the new Viera will have a different role anyway, team needs increased midfield technicality, it used to be packed with creators, excellent passer of the ball and dribblers, there are hardly any these days bar ESR and maybe Ødegaard…Patino looks like another one but I suspect he’ll go on loan for the season…unless Arteta decides to keep him for TNCL until January.

Viera, Tielemans, Jesus and return of Saliba.

Good window?

My main concern is our inability to close out games early will prevent us taking advantage of the 5 subs

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

Perfect Days (Pg)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼