The next Government

Who will form the next government

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If renters had the security of knowing that they can't be turfed out of their homes at the whim of their landlord so long as they paid the rent and didn’t break the terms of their lease then this is a positive surely?

I love the way you scrubbed Michael McDowells name off your doctored attachment. Are you fearful of highlighting that that is his opinion piece?
As if we already don’t know Michael’s deep seated fears about his vested interests being affected by a SF government. He failed as a politician yet wants us all to believe the SF bogeyman with his agenda driven op ed.
Take a walk Michael, you blew your chance and the electorate turfed you out, turn back into the embracing arms of your buddies in the law society.
I only came across the image on twitter and did not know where it came from.

Can you address any of the salient points in the piece as to how it will retain private landlords that are already leaving the rental market?

I only came across the image on twitter and did not know where it came from.

Can you address any of the salient points in the piece as to how it will retain private landlords that are already leaving the rental market?
I can’t because I can’t trust Michael McDowell. Why should I trust the opinion or theories of a failed politician who was rejected by his constituents.
You see, I read more publications than the Proc therefore I may be a little bit more informed than the predominant grey balding old white men on this forum.

If renters had the security of knowing that they can't be turfed out of their homes at the whim of their landlord so long as they paid the rent and didn’t break the terms of their lease then this is a positive surely?
Like it is now you mean?

Would you be a landlord knowing that you could never off load the property due to State imposed restraints?

Your pension tied up or unable to sell or pass on to a family member for a much-needed home?

Would any bank even lend to you to purchase a house to let out?

They would have surprised people in government I think,

There's a perception everyone would have been issued with little red books and we'd have hiked our debt by another couple of hundred billion and FDI would have been chased out of the place in increased taxation.
I don't see it. That's not what they were doing in Stormont.

But it doesn't matter because a good social media campaign won't get them to 80 seats.

A good social media campaign won't get anybody 80 seats.

And unless the political landscape in this country changes VERY dramatically I can't see any party getting 80 seats. But I do think SF will get a bigger number of seats than any of the other parties next time out.

And if you think that SF will do all that merely by running a good social media campaign then let's just say I couldn't disagree more. But look, the longer the establishment parties try to dismiss SF as merely a party running a good social media campaign the more the establishment miss the point and the more of their former voters will change their voting preferences.

Keep telling the electorate that they're thick, and are being taken in by a good social media campaign then the more you alienate the electorate.

I can’t because I can’t trust Michael McDowell. Why should I trust the opinion or theories of a failed politician who was rejected by his constituents.
You see, I read more publications than the Proc therefore I may be a little bit more informed than the predominant grey balding old white men on this forum.
You cannot address any of the points but just want to engage in character assassination?

Fair enough.

You are better informed than a very experienced constitutional layer, barrister and a former Minister?

What are you even doing here?

View attachment 14437
It’s going result in a lot of tenants getting booted out in the run up to the next general election as the vast majority of small landlords would leave straight away under these rules and further accelerate what is a major crisis?

Renters who vote S.F. will be potentially voting themselves towards homelessness.

Yeah, those nasty people in Sinn Fein - the rules and regulations and conditions that make it unfavourable for smaller landlords to be in the market compared to the corporate ones aren't set by SF but by Fine Gael and Fianna Fail. But it's still all Sinn Fein's fault apparently.

Remind me again who is being demonized :unsure:

if i had a house rented out and one of my family was in dire need of housing, id be giving the tenants notice to quit, might
sound harsh, but family first,

I don't think there's anything harsh about that jimmy. That's real life. And afaik there's no law against what you're suggesting.

Troy and his fellow speculators need to be seen as part of the problem, not the solution.

Also, dereliction needs to be tackled.

Dereliction certainly needs to be tackled. Builders who bring properties from dereliction back into use in the rental market should be given tax breaks. The amount of dereliction around the country with people crying out for acomodation is scandalous.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Indie/Folk Music

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼